Chapter 21.(Part 4)

~Bethany~

Angel and I made sure to greet every single person as they walked up the stairs of the entrance, each commenting on how adorable she was and wishing her happy birthday.

Of course, my grandma lectured me about not bringing Angel back to New Orleans more so she could spend more time with her.

Yeah, that's probably not happening.

"Of course I will Granny." I lied with a smile.

"Mhmm you betta." She squinted eye at me.

"Daddy didn't come with you?" I asked, looking behind her.

She shook her head with a sad look.

"He was goin to but somethin at work happened last minute and-" She explained.

"It's fine." I waved my hand to cut her off. "I'm just glad you're here."

"Cut me off again and I'ma bust ya butt, ya here?" She scolded, tapping my hip with her hand. "You done came ta Atlanta and lost yo damn mind."

"Yes ma'am." I replied, taking her serious.

My granny did not play when it came to discipline.

"Now give me a hug, I love ya B baby." She said, wrapping her frail arms around me and Angel. "You too Angel."

Angel placed a wet kiss on my grandma's cheek and giggled.

"We love you too Granny." I returned, hugging her back. "Please, enjoy the party."

"I just came for the birthday cake." She pulled away from the hug.

I laughed and she grinned before walking away.

An hour and a half later, the party was in full swing.

All of the children were in the playroom with Angel while the adults were across the hall in either the pink or purple party rooms.

Every room was stocked with food, drinks, and snacks so there was more than enough for everyone.

I stood watching the live band perform a few of their songs.

Damon, the pianist, played a few keys of the opening to a song as Sunny and Steven joined in on their guitars softly and Wes tapped his drumsticks in time with Damon's piano playing.

A feeling of deja vu hit me at the sound of the music but I shook it off.

August stepped up to the microphone with a smile and the audience cheered and applauded.

"Good evenin', ladies and gentlemen. My name is August and this is my band." He gestured to the men behind him on the stage as they continued to play. "This next song is fa a very special lady. She knows who she is."

He found my eyes in the audience and held my gaze before he stepped back from the microphone stand and took a deep breath.

I continued to stare at him, still in disbelief that he's actually here.

I have to tell him about Angel before he finds out from someone else...

Niecy walked up to me and bumped her shoulder against mine.

"You ok? You seem a little...out of it." She commented.

I nodded.

"I'm good." I lied.

"Mhmm." She looked at the stage then back at me. "So how do you two know each other?"

"Who?" I faked confusion.