Chapter 30.

~•Bethany•~

Nathan and I thanked the waiter as he handed us the check and removed our dirty plates.

"I wanna apologize for how I acted the other day. When I opened that door and saw him standing there like it was his house, I just snapped." Nathan apologized, reaching across the table to grab my hand. "Part of me was insecure and I hate it."

"Insecure about what?"

"Your loyalty to me." He replied with a straight face.

"Excuse me?" I slid my hand out of his.

"I didn't mean that rudely. But come on....I know you loved him. With the history y'all had and the way your relationship ended, I know that love is still love there."

I bit the inside of my cheek but didn't reply.

"See." He nodded. "And with him back in your life, where do I fit in? You see why I was upset at first? I feel unimportant, like you don't need me now that he's back."

August's voice from my dream came back to me.

"That nigga is only a place holda' fa me."

"Nate, August is only Angel's father, you're my boyfriend." I said slowly.

"Yeah, but for how long?" He snorted sarcastically and turned his gaze from me.

I sat against the back of the chair and crossed my arms.

"If you're going to act an ass with the smart comments the whole time then I can leave. "

He sighed and rubbed his hands over his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I've just been really stressed lately. I thought I had him-" He hesitated then closed his mouth.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What? You thought you had who?"

"I...it's nothing for you to worry about."

"Tell me what's going on."

He looked everywhere but at me.

"Fine." I started to get up.

"It's about Terrance." He blurted.

My heart rate sped up.

"My uncle Terrance? What about him?" I questioned, sitting back down.

This can not be good...

"He's...he's been watching you. Ever since you got him arrested."

"What?" My jaw dropped. "But...how? He-he was in jail. How could he still be watching me?"

Nathan offered his hand and I grip it tightly.

"You're shaking Bethany."

"How....how do you know this?"

He hesitated again.

"C'mon, let's get out of here." He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the front of the restaurant so he could pay the bill.

Once we were in the car and down the road, I repeated my previous question.

"Sebastian told me, after I rescued him from your uncle. Terrance had him tied up in a warehouse and had been beating him for a few days. He was dehydrated and unfed. I sent him to stay with a friend of mine in Virginia until he gets back on his feet."

"Why would my uncle do that to him? Was it because we were close and he was trying to get to me?"

Nathan dropped his gaze.