Chapter 23.

•The Night Of Angel's Party•

~August~

"Aight, so now that you done lyin, I can leave. I would say it was nice seein you again, but nah I'm good." I turned and forcefully swung the door open so that it banged against the wall as I walked out.

No one paid attention to me because they're too focused on a little girl dancing in the middle of the floor.

I slid my shades over my eyes and started to walk out of the exit when my eyes drifted towards the dance floor and I paused.

I watched some older lady hold the child's hands as she bounced on her little legs, giggling.

The older woman turned her head and I saw her face.

Oh shit, that's Bethany's grandma.

I looked at the little girl she's holding on to.

Her pink and black hair bow matched her tu-tu and black shirt that said lil Angel on the front in pink letters with a pair of pink angel wings on the back.

So that must be Bethany's daughter.

Angel.

I continued to stare at the little girl.

She did kind of have my skin tone...

And a dimple in her left cheek, just like me-

I quickly turned from the little girl and walked outside.

There's no way...

I pulled my phone out and called a driver to take me back to my hotel.

Hours later I was sitting in my hotel room, regretting how I'd reacted to Bethany's confession.

I held the bottle to my lips and tilted my head back, the liquor burning my throat on the way down.

"Why I ain't just listen to her?" I questioned myself, shaking my head as I paced my room. "How could I think she'd lie to me about a child? My child..."

I paused and a dopey grin slid on my face.

"My baby girl. Angel." I repeatedher name over and over. "My lil Angel."

I started to tilt the bottle back but paused and looked at it.

I sucked my teeth and tossed the now empty bottle in the trash bin.

Or at least I tried to.

The bottle bounced off of the bin and rolled across the carpeted floor.

I fell backwards on the bed and covered my face with my hands.

Thoughts of my son and Bethany's tear-stained face filled my mind and I was suddenly overcome with emotion.

"I'm so sorry baybeh," I sobbed . "I'm sorry B. I didn't mean it. I luh you baybeh, you and my daughta ."

The sobs shook my entire body and I turned on my side when something stabbed into my leg.

I quieted my sobs down to a few sniffles and reached in my pocket to retrieve my phone.

I gotta fix this...

Squinting at the screen, I unlocked it and open up my contacts.

I scroll down before finding her number and pressing call.

The phone rings a couple of times before she answered.

"August?"

"Niecy..." I hesitated. "Wassup?"