Chapter 1

I pulled up to the front of the school and put the car in park. There were other parents in their cars waiting for their children to be dismissed. I rolled down my window to let the late summer breeze freshen the car. While I was waiting I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and clicked the power button. A picture of Addalie, Leilah and me flashed on the screen. The corners of my lips crept up slightly as I looked at the picture. I was such a lucky husband and father. I slid open the lock screen and began looking through emails and messages. When I glanced up, I caught a glimpse of a little girl in a pink dress running towards my car. I smiled and got out of the car. Walking around to the other side, I bowed low and smiled.

“Well good day Princess Leilah! You carriage awaits you!”

 She giggled and covered her mouth with her small hand. “Oh daddy you’re silly!”

She held on to a bit of the accent that I had, but sounded mostly like her mother. I couldn’t help but smile and I scooped her up and gave her a hug, with her giggling and laughing the whole time.

I set her down and opened the door to the car, helping her inside the back seat. After I got her buckled in, I closed the door and walked around to the other side. Climbing in the drivers seat, I buckled my seatbelt and asked,

“Are you ready to go princess?”

She smiled and said, “All ready!”

I put the car back into drive and pulled away from the school. Usually I turned left to head home. However, today was different. I turned right onto the street. After a moment Leilah said,

“Daddy, aren’t you going the wrong way?”

I shook my head. “No honey, I have to make a quick stop first. You just stay in the car, okay?”

Through the rearview mirror I saw her nod her head, her curls bobbing along with the movement. She had inherited that from me. I guess curls were hereditary. Mine hadn’t been as obvious since I started pushing them back away from my face. They were okay, but they made me look like a teenager again. It had been a long time since those days.

After a couple miles I turned onto a smaller road that lead to the local cemetery. My heart immediately got heavy, but I tried to hold it together for Leilah. I couldn’t break down here; it would scare her.

I pushed a loose strand of hair away from my face and gripped the steering wheel tighter.

“What are you going to do at the cemetery daddy?” her small voice from the back seat inquired.

“I’m just visiting someone. I won’t be long.”

She nodded again and I gave her a reassuring smile, and she returned it.

I stopped the car and turned to face the back seat. “Be right back.” I said. Then I turned and opened my door and stepped into the fresh air. I closed the door and shoved my hands in my pockets as I slowly walked down the row of gravestones. “Sam Cooper, Marley Jones, Elizabeth Travis…” I read each name as I passed by the stones. With as many times as I had visited this place, the names were beginning to sound familiar. I stopped when I got to a rather small one.

It was probably one of the smaller stones on the property. It was simple and looked almost innocent. A few small decorations were still placed around on the ground next to it. I looked over each one carefully, although I’m not sure why. I knew exactly what everything looked like. I had examined this spot a million times. A bouquet of flowers that was slowly wilting, a fluffy brown teddy bear holding a faded red heart, a loose rose left to the side, and a picture of Addalie and me on the day of the funeral.