Chapter 24

Addalie’s POV

I took the pictures off the wall one by one, with Harry by my side. All the good memories in the pictures were now replaced in my mind with betrayal and distrust. All the time spent, all for nothing.

 Why was I such an idiot? I should have trusted myself. I knew Logan was lying to me, and I knew he was cheating. I don’t know why I let him leave last night thinking everything was fine. It was even harder to believe that after he knew I was having doubts, he went out and found Mailee again.

 My stomach churched at the thought and I didn’t realize my audible groan.

 “You alright?” Harry questioned, watching me carefully.

 “Yeah, I’ll make it.” I shrugged and refused to let my emotions return.

 The funny thing was it wasn’t even my “love” for Logan that was trying to return, because most of that had disappeared. Yeah, I still cared about Logan, and I probably always would. But the feelings were gone. What I hadn’t realized is they had been fading for months, I was just too afraid to admit it. What I also was too afraid to admit was that Harry had really been the final push. It wasn’t planned, and it wasn’t like I was using Harry as a rebound.

 I looked over at the boy next to me, who had his eyebrows furrowed together as he focused on trying to remove the back of a picture frame. It wasn’t deniable that all the butterflies in the world had just started to flutter in my stomach. My heart rate increased and I wanted to touch him, to run my fingers through his hair and remove that one piece that never seemed to stay in place.

 Harry pulled me out of my trance.

 “Addalie, you’re staring at me. And you’re biting your lip again.”

 Darn this stupid habit of biting my lip.

 “What are you thinking about?” He questioned cheekily.

 Maybe I was just fantasizing about touching you and kissing you and having you all to myself.

 “Nothing.” I replied instead. I knew my cheeks were turning red again so I quickly looked away and focused back on the pictures.

 Now he was the one staring at me. “Stop looking at me like that and help me.” I teased him.

 He laughed lightly. “Addalie, look around.”

 I placed the last frame back on the wall and looked around the room. All of the frames were empty. My walls were completely rid of that boy who broke my heart.

 “I like it better this way.” He encouraged.

 “Me too.” I replied.

 His hand reached for my back as he gently rubbed it, soothing my urge to cry once again. I desperately wanted to bury my head into his neck again and let him hold me. I wanted to smell his cologne and feel his warmth, but I had a feeling that that would probably be a bit awkward.

 Instead I sighed and looked down at the pile of pictures in my hands. Harry handed me the even larger pile that he was holding.

 “You were too good for him Addalie.”

 “Or maybe he found better.” I finally let my insecurity fall from my lips.

 He shook his head. “No. That’s impossible.”

 “Impossible? I don’t think so.” I dropped my head back down to the pictures. “Even in little Deer Creek, there’s better than me.”

 “I don’t believe that for a single second Addalie.”