Chapter 27

Addalie’s POV

            Harry’s coming over.

            That’s all I could think about. Blair told me just a minute ago that Niall said he was worried and he was coming.

            How do I look? I’ve been crying all day and huddled under a sea of blankets. I probably looked completely terrible.

            I jumped up and ran to the bathroom to check my appearance, and on my way I heard Blair laughing at me. I didn’t care; she knew everything anyways.

            I looked at my reflection in the mirror and groaned. “Ugh, why?!” I asked myself as I saw my awful appearance. My hair was knotted and in a mess, all my makeup was smeared and my clothes were wrinkled.

            I didn’t waste time. I quickly washed my face and only reapplied mascara, then pulled my hair into a messy bun. I hurried to my room and grabbed a comfy sweater and pulled it over my head, covering my gross t-shirt.    

            Good enough. I thought as I looked at myself in my bedroom mirror.

            Why did I really even care that much? Maybe it would have been a good thing for Harry to see me at my worst, and see what he’d done to me. No, then I’d just look pathetic and needy.

            My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Blair opening the front door, and then Harry’s voice filled the apartment.

            “Where’s Addalie?” He asked immediately.

            “She’s in her bedroom…you alright?” Blair asked in return.

            I left my bedroom and entered the hallway that they were standing in.

            “I’m fine, I just want to make sure…” His sentence trailed off when he noticed me standing there.

            “Hey.” He said.

            “Hi.” I replied, my voice faltering slightly.

            An awkward silence lingered before Blair said, “Okay, well you two probably want to be alone. I’ll be in the kitchen.” and then she walked away.

            I stared at the floor, unable to find anything to say at the moment. Thankfully, Harry initiated the conversation.

            “I wanted to make sure you were ok.” He said shyly.

            I nodded at the ground. “I’ll survive.” I responded.

            “I don’t want you to just ‘survive’, I want you to be ok.” He said taking a step towards me.

            A noise came from the kitchen and it sounded like Blair made the mistake of opening my cupboard and letting all my plastic cups fall onto the counter. I did my best to hold back a laugh.

            “Can I talk to you now?” He asked, sounding slightly urgent.

            I nodded and turned back into my bedroom, and heard him follow me in and close the door.

            I stood awkwardly in the middle of the room and waited for him to speak. All of a sudden I wasn’t feeling so brave or confident. I could feel myself slowly building a wall. I had gone to far the last time he was here and almost pushed him away. There was no way that I was going to let that happen again. I could keep my hands to myself this time.