Catch and Release

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness, in times of tragedy, leads to healing. That one community is stronger than a thousand of its members." Sheriff Forbes stated from where she stood behind a podium that was set in the middle of the gym where all of the students sat. I held a small candle that Bonnie lit with hers before I passed the flame to Elena. "But How does a community stay strong after losing its leader?" Sheriff Forbes asked quietly and I slowly nodded in agreement and looked at the picture of Carol that stood beside her. "And Carol was so much more than just a mayor. She was.. an open-minded friend. And a concerned mother.." She added quietly, looking at Tyler as he sat across from her. "Taken from us too soon.. By a terrible accident." Sheriff stayed and I watched Tyler as he sat on the bleachers beside Caroline uncomfortably, shaking his head slowly in defeat.

"Screw this." Tyler stated in annoyance and handed his candle to Caroline who furrowed her eyebrows as Ty got up from the bleachers.

"What? Tyler—" Caroline started in protest but cut herself off as he walked off of the bleachers and out of the gym.

"Please join me in observing a minute of silence in her memory." Sheriff stayed quietly towards the rest of us and I sighed deeply.

"I'll be back." I stated quietly as I handed my candle to Elena who nodded back at me. I walked off of the bleachers quickly and quietly before out of the gym. "Ty!" I said after him as he walked down the hall in front of me. He heard me behind him, which made him go faster and I furrowed my eyebrows and vamped in front of him to see that his eyes were red. He quickly looked away from me, making me sigh in defeat. "Ty.." I whispered, putting a hand on his arm reassuringly. Tyler cleared his throat and looked back at me before I quickly pulled him into a hug and heard him sob into me. "I'm so sorry.." I added, shaking my head slowly as he cried. "I'm so sorry." I repeated, running a hand gently through his hair.
~~

I walked into the Grill and looked around curiously before my eyes landed on Stefan who sat in the corner by himself with a bottle of bourbon. I sighed in annoyance and walked towards him as he poured himself a shot but I took it easily and downed it. "Sure, Mariana. Why don't you join me?" Stefan asked sarcastically as he sat back in his chair and I rose an eyebrow, putting the shot glass on the table.

"What are you doing here? Is this what you were doing instead of showing up to the mandatory assembly?" I asked in disbelief and he rolled his eyes, drinking from the bottle of whiskey.

"Elena and I aren't speaking." Stefan stated emotionlessly and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Well, Damon 'set her free'. So things should be fine." I pointed out and gave him a shrug, making him scoff back at me lightly.

"Yeah, well. They're not. Hence—the drinking." Stefan countered as he tilted the bottle towards me. I sighed back at him as his phone started ringing and he grabbed it and furrowed his eyebrows down at the unknown caller I.D. "What?" Stefan answered in an annoyances voice.

"Guess who." A familiar voice stated from the other side and I rose an eyebrow and slowly folded my arms over my chest as Stefan narrowed his eyes. "I'm back, Dagger free—no thanks to you, and I'm holding Elena hostage at the high school. Just thought you should know." Rebekah added from the phone and Stefan furrowed his eyebrows.

"Who the hell is dumb enough to pull that dagger out of you?" Stefan countered emotionlessly and I stood before him, totally lost.

"I'll be asking the questions today. See you soon." Rebekah replied in amusement before she hung up and I tilted my head down at Stefan in annoyance.

"So... Did you wanna fill me in now or later?" I asked, shrugging at him in disbelief and he sighed loudly, standing up from the table.

"Just.. Call Caroline." Stefan answered with a heavy sigh and I furrowed my eyebrows as he walked past me and I followed after him.