Matters of Blood

"It's so hard to see him locked up like this." Elena stated in defeat as she looked through the cellar bars at Stefan who was laying with his back turned to her.

"You're the one who locked him up." Damon replied from where he leant against the wall.

"We helped." I pointed out with a sigh and folded my arms over my chest as I rested my head on the wall behind me.

"I couldn't have him running around chewing on people while the town was looking for vampires now, could I?" Damon countered in sarcasm and I rolled my eyes in response.

"It has nothing to do with you actually caring about him?" Elena asked in annoyance and raised her eyebrow back at him challengingly.

"Your thing. Not mine." He answered in disinterest before walking up the stairs and I narrowed my eyes at the back of his head.

"He's going to be fine, Elena." I reassured as I looked back at her. I watched as she looked away from Stefan finally and back at me, slowly nodding in agreement. I gave her a small smile as the two of us walked upstairs and into the library where Damon stood. He was examining some device that Pearl had dropped off to him last night.

"Did you ever figure out what that is?" I asked toward him as I walked over to the couch to grab my coat.

"Nope. But whatever it is, it doesn't work." Damon replied in annoyance, looking down at it in disappointment.

"Pearl didn't say anything else about it?" Elena added from the couch across from me where she was putting her clothes from yesterday, into an over night bag.

"She thought she was stealing Jonathan's vampire compass, but it was a pocket watch." Damon informed with a sigh. "That Jonathan Gilbert was a crazy scientist." He added and I walked past him and over to the coffee table where I had my school books sitting. "Have you spoken to your uncle lately?" Damon asked, looking between Elena and I curiously.

"We've been avoiding him for the most part.. That, and I've also been here most nights." Elena answered with a shrug and Damon rose an eyebrow back at her.

"So you'll be here again tonight?" Damon asked, looking at her from over his shoulder and I pulled my books into my bag.

"Is that a problem?" Elena asked, tilting her head back at him and he rose an eyebrow.

"Yes. You're a complete nuisance." He replied sarcastically and I chuckled a bit. "And I'll see you tonight as well?" Damon asked, looking back at me and I rose an eyebrow at his question.

"I'll see you later." I informed with a small smile before Elena and I walked toward the door.

-Time Skip-

I dialed Damon's number into my phone once I walked into my room and threw my bag onto my bed. "Yes?" Damon's voice asked, answering his phone on the second ring.

"Elena and I are just grabbing clothes and then we'll be right over. How's Stefan?" I asked, opening my closet and scanning all the clothes in front of me.

"Extra broody. Hold on." Damon answered and I waited as the line went silent. I grabbed a black long sleeve shirt and a pair of dark blue skinny jeans. I threw the clothes on the bed and walked over to my dresser, grabbing my brush and curling iron. "He won't eat anything." Damon added, coming back through the phone and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"He has to eat.. Something. What's his favorite type of.. Um.." started, cutting myself off awkwardly before I let out a deep sigh of annoyance.

"His favorite type of what?" Damon asked in slight amusement from the other side and I rolled my eyes.

"Type of animal that he prefers?" I asked, finishing my question and raising an eyebrow as I put the necessities in my bag.