Throw Me A Ball

I walked into the backyard of the Lockwood mansion and over to Bonnie so we could help set up for the Masquerade Ball tomorrow night. "You're here." I pointed out once I reached her and the box of candle sticks she had in front of her.

"I'm here." She agreed with a short nod before she started looking around us, obviously in search of someone.

"Caroline's not coming." I informed and grabbed a candle stick from the box before putting it on the table in front of us. "I told you." I added with a sigh as she looked back at me.

"Just making sure." Bonnie pointed out in defeat, making me slightly shake my head at her attitude.

"You know, eventually, you're going to have to talk to her." I stated in an annoyance as I rose my eyebrow at her.

"Could you make it a little less obvious you're on her side?" Bonnie countered in defense and I rolled my eyes.

"There are no sides, Bonnie." I protested but she only sighed back at me.

"Oh, come on. Since Caroline became a vampire, we barely see each other. Losing Caroline was bad enough, I didn't think I'd lose you or Elena, too." She stated in disappointment. I tilted my head at her as she looked away from me, obviously hurt. I sighed deeply and started to walk away, gesturing for her to follow.

"Come with me." I stated, walking in the direction of the pond that was across the lawn.

"Where?" Bonnie asked in confusion as she turned toward me but I shrugged.

"Someplace quiet.. We need to talk." I answered reassuringly and held out a hand for her to take. Bonnie looked down at it skeptically before she smiled a bit and took it, letting me lead us away.
~~~

"I can't believe this." Bonnie stated as we walked beside the pond, after digesting and talking about everything that had happened over the past few days.

"It's a lot.. I know. Katherine is doing everything in her power to ruin the lives of everyone I care about. Elena, Stefan, and now Caroline." I stated in defeat as the two of us sat in a bench beside the pond. "Everyone keeps getting dragged into it." I added and watched Bonnie slowly shake her head.

"It's not that it's a lot, Mariana.. It's that I feel like I am the last one to know about Katherine being your mother." Bonnie stated in defeat, making me sigh deeply.

"Bonnie, I didn't mean to keep it from you. I had trouble telling everyone.. And talking to you about my birth mother who happens to be a vampire and a villain that we all hate? That's not something I want to talk to you about because I know where you stand on the entire vampire thing." I informed with a shrug, which made Bonnie furrow her eyebrows.

"So that makes me the odd man out." She stated in disappointment before looking away from me.

"No. Bonnie, no. Of course not." I reassured as I put a hand on her shoulder.

"You know where I stand, Mariana.. And I know where you stand. But where do we stand?" Bonnie asked, looking back at me in confusion and I tilted my head. I let my hand fall as I thought everything over and looked down in defeat.

"You're my best friend, Bonnie.. I didn't mean to let this craziness with Katherine get in the way of that.. but after what she did to Caroline?—And what Caroline is going through with her mom.. she needs you, too." I pointed out with a soft shrug.