i. Walking Stick

Darkness. That's all I saw and that's all I could ever see. Now and probably till the end of time, all that I will ever see is nothing but darkness. You're probably thinking that I've fallen into a dark place or crawled into a dark corner of my mind,like I've fallen into a deep depression. Or I can't pick myself up because I've lost all feeling of myself and the world. All I ever want to do is kill myself. To end it all. But I'm not depressed nor am I suicidal, not yet. I mean I'm fine. I'm just blind.

It was the early morning. Nayeon would only assume that because her alarm for six in the morning woke her up. At least I can hear it.

She used one of her senses to listen to her phone beeping on the nightstand. Leaning over, she smacked the wooden desk in search of the phone. Getting a feel of the rubber casing, Nayeon grabbed it, pressing the volume button to stop the alarm.

After the alarm stopped, she sighed and laid back on the bed, enjoying the few seconds she had before her mom would come into the room to remind her to get up. She's always up earlier than her apparently, drinking some Japanese herbal tea. It was always the same routine; Nayeon was so accustomed to it that she could mentally decipher when something would happen.

It wouldn't make a difference if I opened my eyes or not.

Nayeon had a very special condition. Her mother once told her that her eyes turned grey, nearly ice white once the disease took over. She used to have dark brown eyes. People said that her eyes were pretty because they were really dark brown like chocolate but shone brightly in the sunlight. She never believed them because to her, her eyes were bland and just plain murky water brown.

Nayeon was diagnosed when she was only 5 years old. The doctor told her parents it was indubitably serious. They operated on her to get rid of it because the earlier, the better, or else it would get worse. But then a couple of months after the operation, she contracted another sickness and the doctor gave her parents the bad news that it was far too severe to operate on it again. So as the years went by, Nayeon slowly lost her eyesight.

She got used to her parents helping her around the house. But when she was seven, they got her an eye-seeing dog whose name is Kookeu. He's a white Pomeranian and was only 2 months when Nayeon got him. You'd think that a dog that small wouldn't make a great eye-seeing dog but Kookeu's skills are very sharp especially when it came to fashion. He's been with Nayeon for a long time. It was difficult for her to make friends. All the other kids wanted to run around and play tag and she had to sit on the carpet and stack up blocks or something.

Her mom gave birth to her twin siblings, Yama and Ryler when Nayeon was eleven. They were two perfect little babies and such a sweet and silly pair. Nayeon couldn't ask for better siblings than those two.

Not having to rub her eyes in the morning anymore of whenever they're irritated or itchy. Nayeon sighed, lying up from bed, clicking her tongue. So there's a plus to being blind. She could hear the rustling of the bells on Kookeu collar perfectly clear.

"Nayeon, sweetie, are you up?" Her mom called from downstairs, her voice echoing through the house.

"Yeah, mom."

Nayeon slammed her arms down on the blanket before blowing a piece of her hair out of her face. Tearing the blanket away and turning, her feet touched the cold floor. Kookeu trotted over and waited at her feet for Nayeon to move.

Nayeon rolled over and got off, grabbing her walking stick by her bed, tapping her walkway to the bathroom. Kookeu didn't necessarily need to guide her everywhere, just not in her room since it's a bit small. Locking the door to the bathroom, she reached for her toothbrush next to the sink. Nayeon took the cap off and grabbed the toothpaste, squeezing some on to it and starts brushing.