xiv. I Care

The chilly air welcomed the pair of giggling girls as they went on their way down the sidewalk. By this hour, traffics seemed to be slowing down. The amount of passing cars became lesser with each step they took. Mina had her arms hooked with Nayeon's, acting as her main support system while Nayeon navigated her way, nonetheless, with her walking stick in the other hand. It gave her a pleasant feeling, to share her warmth instead of the lingering coldness in the air that wrapped around her body.

Their original plan was to head to the park and venture around, for Nayeon to get some fresh air and clear her head. She would prefer it than driving. Mina insisted that they go together and she would be a substitute for her walking cane but ended up pretentiously becoming her guide. Both girls didn't mind either option. Mina was telling Nayeon about the time Jihyo poured green peas in Tzuyu's bed.

"You've got to be kidding me."

Nayeon snorted loudly, shifting her head to Mina every few seconds and then straight ahead at the sidewalk.

Mina giggled softly, her cheeks spreading wider into a warm gummy smile. She tried to ease her laughter so she could finish with her anecdote.

"I really wish I was. But she actually did put peas in her bed. They were dried though. We were having a sleepover and Tzuyu suddenly screamed. I was still brushing my teeth at that time and rushed to see what happened. We ALL laughed. And spent an hour laughing while Tzuyu chased Jihyo with a butcher knife."

Feeling her losing breath as she exhaled a boastful howl, Mina clung on to Nayeon's arm. She nearly stumbled with her stepping, making Nayeon the one to push her back up while the two shared more squeals of fun. It was within the back of Nayeon's head that she tried not to appear to wince at the thought of Tzuyu holding a deadly weapon and charging at someone as bubbly and precious as Jihyo.

Shaking her head to get the horrendous idea out, Nayeon threw her head back to cast another bellowing laugh. Her spontaneous attitude was contagious, causing Mina to laugh along with her in a glorious cacophony. Their noisy ruckus was reeling in some stares. A man passing by, with his car window down, saw the girls laughing like they were insane and gave them a weird look before turning back to the road. The pair of girls were calming down from yodeling when Mina spotted a woman in a teal tracksuit speed walking with her dog. Something switched on in Mina to give her the mission of petting the dog. She dragged Nayeon down as she stepped in front of the woman, stopping them on the sidewalk.

"Hi, miss. Is it alright if we could pet your dog? He's just so cute!"

The woman saw no harm in this and briskly nodded her head, her earphones moving along casually. Mina clapped for joy and kneeled down with Nayeon to give the little puppy a good ear scratch. The other girl understood why they had paused and grew eager to pet the dog.

"Hey, boy."
Mina made sure to check beforehand, going behind the little dog's ears to scratch. He barked happily, waving his head around to rotate the areas for Mina to get.
"Look. I'm gonna make it simple for you."
She noticed the little dog's technique and smiled brightly from ear to ear, wallowing in how adorable he was. Reaching up with her other hand, she used it to grab Nayeon's hand and place it on the puppy's back.

"He's so soft."
Nayeon beamed excitedly, rubbing the dog's back with her hand like a brush. Mina saw the look of joy on her face. She couldn't help but smile admiringly at that.

Looking down and watching the two together, the woman gave the two a sweet smile. She glanced at her watch and had to cut the girl's petting session a bit short.

Mina showed the puppy a pouty face. She lightly kissed him on the nose.
"See you later, boy ."

Taking Nayeon's arm away and standing up, Mina waved a hand at the dog. He gave an upset whine, the wagging of his tail slowing down a bit.