xxiv. Room of Gloom

Word of Mina's death spread around like wildlife. In a flash, the story of the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Myoui getting into a horrific car crash and dying on arrival was all over every news channel available. They covered how the driver's breaks suddenly did not function and the delivery truck was rapidly making its way down the intersection.

The public started knowing about it when her parents had to abruptly end their meeting with important business clients from the Philippines. News channels wanted to get the scoop out early.

Ever since it first got out, dozens of students have been giving Tzuyu, Sana, and Jihyo their condolences. Everyone was devastated when finding out. Things haven't been pretty since then.

The three wanted everything to stop, the noise to stop, and for everyone to just be quiet. Their condolences were getting rash and need not for repeating themselves. To the point where it felt like their ears would fall off by the sound of another word of pity. They didn't want any more of it.

Although the funeral was in a few days, the principal thought it was a good time to set up a memorial for Mina beside the trophy case. Her parents were at home and had been preparing for the event that was scheduled to be in three days. Mina's father, devastated by her daughter's startling death, had been drinking and even unintentionally taken up his bad habit that he quit a long time ago, smoking. Her mother swamped herself into work and took care of the funeral planning along with a coordinator. Poor Ray had been sleeping in Mina's bed, wondering when will his person come home to play with him. Sadly, that day would never come.

The alarmingly recognizable clamor of numerous heels hitting the concrete floor could be heard from anyone in the hallways or at the bottom of the stairs. More ambulant eyes tore away from their conversation to stare at the group approaching the principal alongside with the vice and their secretary.

They watched intently from afar, making sure not to steer away from their safe space away from Tzuyu's line of vision. Not even with the three adults in the hallways did they feel fully safe in her presence.

Many teens wore black for Mina's memorial. Those who didn't, not receiving the memo in time, attempted to hide behind their friends in case Tzuyu caught a glimpse of their colorful clothing.

The three had an all-black attire. Tzuyu wore a black pull-over with the hood over her head. She didn't want anyone to see her bloodshot eyes and Rudolf colored nose. Beside her, holding her arm was Sana. She had done her face, trying to appear more presentable, despite the whole thing.

Jihyo was right behind them, responding to the greetings from passersby on the side. Even with the grave devastation she felt inside, she still had an image to uphold as the student body's president. The smile she gave did not reach her eyes like it usually did.

The principal was chatting with the vice when the three were nearing them. They only managed to get a few steps when a random stringbean leaped from the third step of the stairs and right in front of them. He was like a deer in headlights and Tzuyu was the only one enraged by him. Sana stumbled back, surprised, squeezing Tzuyu's hand to make her come to her senses.

"H-Hey, Tzuyu. Sana. Madam Prez. I'm so terribly sorry for your lost."

Jihyo cautiously watched the interaction, quickly smiling at the boy before going back to observing Tzuyu. She knew how easily irritable she could be. Especially at a time like this, Jihyo was hoping her cousin wouldn't punch the boy. He didn't seem so bad.

No more than a handful of minutes went by when Tzuyu blew out a sharp of breath, passing the boy.

"Thanks, kid."