xvi. Give It A Try

"We need to talk about us and that kiss."

Jeongyeon had just put her t shirt over her head when Nayeon spoke up. Her head was still glued to the ground, playing with her fingers to ease herself from the fainthearted demand she just made. Lifting a humored eyebrow, Jeongyeon stared at Nayeon who was still fidgeting at the edge of her bed.

"So what?"

Nayeon's chest raised as she drew in a deep breath and exhaled out, already drained. She quit fiddling with her fingers and clasped them together, thinking it would keep her grounded.

"So...everything."

The pair remained to be utterly wordless, avoiding to even glance in each other's direction. As the seconds passed, the ambiance around them grew heavier like a dark cloud of smoke. Jeongyeon scanned her orderly room, inspecting any items that seemed out of place. That was the point; nothing appeared to be tousled. All the items in her room were right where they were supposed to be and Jeongyeon had control over it. Until now, that is, she didn't know where to begin with her and Nayeon.

Classifying them as friends wasn't suitable. From the circumstances and how they both felt, it was a higher level unlocked. Their friendship was more than just giving each other companionable hugs and amicably leaning their heads on each other's shoulders. They couldn't just be chummy with one another. Those cute little pet names Jeongyeon would call Nayeon was more than a tender friendship.

It was a type of ship that didn't know where it was sailing to.

Jeongyeon stood a few feet from Nayeon, her arms crossed loosely as she continued to look around her room to avoid making conversation. She preferred if Nayeon were to go first, feeling like she had said enough for one day. As much as she hated to admit it, Jeongyeon wanted Nayeon to be the one to reach out. It's been a couple of minutes and the two still hadn't budged.

The moment Jeongyeon stopped waddling from side to side, she glanced at Nayeon. Her head was down with her fingers on her lap, unmoving. The next thing she noticed was her wet hair, gradually collecting pools of cold water on her shoulders. Jeongyeon looked around for a towel, wondering where she had placed them before. She walked to the bathroom from across the hall to retrieve a brown bath towel.

She didn't call out to Nayeon that Jeongyeon was approaching her with the towel. Everything felt like no words would be needed. Standing in front of the unresponsive girl, Jeongyeon wrapped the towel behind Nayeon's head. She took a few moments to look down at Nayeon, not saying anything. Jeongyeon proceeded to dry Nayeon's hair out.

Nayeon sat there, motionless, fathoming possibilities of her and Jeongyeon being together. She was conflicted on whether the outcome of it would be something that neither of them would regret. This could be Nayeon's first promising relationship. While she was drowning in the deep caverns of her mind, the only thing Jeongyeon could do was stare at her best friend thinking profoundly. A second nature that Nayeon has picked up was having her mouth slightly ajar whenever she was thinking.

This time, Jeongyeon was close enough to witness it actually happen. And close enough to kiss her again.

Her lips look so kissable right now. She looks like she's thinking so deeply about something. I wanna kiss her I wanna kiss her FUCK I WANNA KISS HER-

For a second, Jeongyeon stopped to glance down at those lips, enticing her like a devilish whisper. The distance between them was microscopic. One push and they would've been touching. Nayeon's breath got caught in her throat when Jeongyeon's exhale touched her tepid skin. She couldn't budge, having no other choice but to sink into the bed.