xv. Fluttering Feelings

Just as Mina had dreamed about, Nayeon's lips felt exactly like they would be; soft bubblegum clouds, as if they were made from the heavens. Even though it was one simply kiss, no movement, only two lips pressing against each other so lightly, Mina's stomach was churning animatedly. When her feet finally reached the ground and her head was clear, Mina opened her eyes and pulled back, feeling embarrassed. Her cheeks burned a bright red, shaking her head to look anywhere but Nayeon's directions. She could feel her stare, heavily.

Nayeon fell a few inches back, her head facing away from Mina's way. As much as the kiss was originally supposed to throw her off, it didn't dawn on her how  unaffected Nayeon was. Mina, on the other hand, was petrified by her actions, her mind racing at what Nayeon would say or do. She hoped it wasn't as bad as she thought, recalling that Nayeon didn't shove her off. If only she could look into her eyes and know then what she was feeling.

"N-Nayeon, I'm so sorry."

Mina's words, however, weren't partially true. In fact, she was smitten over the kiss. Knowing what it was like to have your first love's lips on yours. Mina got to experience that for the first time.

After how many long hellish minutes, thinking Nayeon wasn't going to budge, she cracked a soft smile. Pointing her gaze to the direction of Mina's voice.

"It was nice."

Although using such a redundant word with little importance because of its vagueness, to Mina, it was like her breath was blown away. That wasn't the reaction that she envisaged; there was more disgust and scorn written all over Nayeon's face from how she imagined. Nevertheless, Mina was prepared for the worst.

"Did you feel anything?"

Mina knew she had told to lie. But the reason for it was ambiguous; was it to convince Nayeon or herself?

"Well..No."

Turning her head away, shamefully. The heat in her cheeks continued to burn brightly. She squeezed her eyes shut, in discomfort, tugging on the bottom of her sweater as she whined silently to herself.

Nayeon could only smile at how easily her tone changed.

    "I may be blind, Mina.." Pausing, Nayeon tried to come up with more, but nothing was coming through.
    "Well, that's it. I am blind so please be honest with me."

   "I'm not ly-"
Mina huffed our, scrunching her eyebrows together as the lock on her jaw tightened.

"I can hear the shakiness in your voice."

As much as Mina would want to deny her inevitable crush on Nayeon, she really couldn't. For the sole purpose of letting go, Mina had to accept that she liked Nayeon, but that they couldn't be anything more than that.

While trying to air out a response, Mina precisely handpicked every word she was about to say. Her confession to Nayeon, more like a proclamation of closure.

"I've really liked you for some time, Nayeon. Since freshmen year, to be specific. I took Tzuyu to the nurse's office because she got into another fight and we passed by the practice room and you were there singing something. I couldn't stay long because I had to take Tzuyu first but I came back after she went back to class. And ever since, I've done whatever to take small glances of you but never had the courage to talk to you until a few weeks ago before the auditions. I'm really glad that we got to be closer, Nayeon. You make me feel warm and so comfortable."

Mina was a rambling mess at that point. Immediately, her hands flew to her face, covering it as she squealed. She felt sheepish after saying it, not wanting to move from where she sat.