xxii. Walk This Way

The bell ringing, signaled all the workers to continue whatever they were doing. That indication made a switch in their brain to start working and get things done. If they didn't work hard enough, their paycheck would not be handed to them so easily. The pizza company strive to get where they are now and every day meant business to them. That's how Jeongyeon, along with her coworker who became one of her closest friends Chaeyoung, survived on each and every day.

Just a couple of minutes ago, Jeongyeon was sitting in the employees' lounge, watching a movie on the flatscreen and waiting for orders from Chaeyoung, who managed the front desk and answered phone calls. Jeongyeon did the driving since she had her license before Chaeyoung did.

Her and Jeongyeon were a dynamic duo, No Jam Bros. They decided to call themselves that because they were always seen hanging out and making jokes that were deemed lame by others who didn't understand. The pair had inside jokes with each other that no one else caught up with, receiving comments like "uncool," "confusing," and "lame." Their loud and obnoxious laughter could be heard from the front house by their coworkers. That was part of their work routine.

Chaeyoung was wiping down the counter for the fifth time. The red surface was already a glossy scarlet, almost pink, and she could practically see her reflection in it. She didn't have anything else to do than busy herself by counting the straw box or handling the cash register. They've only been there for a few

The manager watched their every move like a hawk. As long as she was around then everyone suddenly had a task to do, moving around as if they had ants up their pants.

On her third round of wiping down the counter, the phone finally rang. Chaeyoung dropped the cloth and picked up the phone, speaking in a welcoming tone.

"Hey there. Welcome to Dominoes Pizza. Where your pizza is always fresh. It's what we do best. How may I help you?"

The person on the other line could barely be heard from the booming music in the background. His tone was loose and carefree like he was high. He had to shuffle through piles of clutter to get to a quieter area in the house.

"I-I'm sorry, sir. You're a bit off. Could you speak a little louder for me?"

Chaeyoung raised her voice a bit, holding the phone to her ear and pressing it to her face. The harder she did so, the louder the music seemed to be getting and the fainter the guy's voice became. She let out the smallest groan she could, hoping even the guy was having trouble hearing her.

"I said that I want twenty-five cheese boxes. You alright, dude?"

The guy laughed to his joke, convincing himself that it was funny. But he was too up there to make sense of anything.

Chaeyoung groaned internally, having to hold it in to not allow the guy to hear her dissatisfaction and rolled her eyes instead. She pulled an uneasy and sarcastic smile to ease herself.

"What's your address?"

"780 Fordham Avenue."

"Alright. Thank you."

"Be there or be square, bro." Laughing again at his tasteless comment, the guy hung up before Chaeyoung could react.

She saved the reaction for later and whipped out a paper, grabbed the pen that was hanging on her collar and wrote down the order. She turned around, pinned the paper to the board and yelled out the order.