iv. New Face

On top of the unwelcoming heat of the sun beating down on Nayeon's face, she groaned and crawled to the other side of her bed. Her fingers located the volume button and pressed them to snooze the alarm, giving her a total of five minutes before it would go off again. She whirled her arms around, wanting to purposely smack Jeongyeon in the face and play it off as a slothful accident. Instead, she woke up to an empty bed.

Did Jeong leave? Nayeon spread her arms wider, even kicking the air in hopes of finding her best friend's body. Nothing but cold sheets were the only thing her legs touched. Waking up to an empty bed was something Nayeon had gotten used to and to her, today shouldn't be different. But going to sleep with a sense of  security and opening your eyes to it being gone can really leave a person feeling hollow.

"Jeong?"

No reply came back except Kookeu's alarmed barking. He hopped on to Nayeon's bed, wiggling his tail side to side with his tongue stuck out. He was able to also sense when Nayeon wasn't feeling in good spirits with the weather. Sighing, Nayeon put Kookeu on her lap, petting him for comfort.

The crisp smell of something appetizing seeped into the room, getting Nayeon's mind off whatever was making her so down in the dumps. Kookeu noticed, barking in haste and much louder, hoping to get Nayeon out of bed. The little dog's method work, jumping off the bed to lead Nayeon out of the room. Nayeon groaned, getting dragged by Kookeu, with drowsiness still in her system.

Entering the kitchen, the smell of various breakfast foods hit Nayeon's face like a ton of bricks, clogging up her nostrils. She hadn't smelt this type of delectableness in ages. Grabbing an emergency cane from the bin, Nayeon lead herself to the counter, sitting down once she found a stool.

"Dad?" Nayeon knew her mother wouldn't be home until a few hours and her father is the one left to make breakfast.

"That's not the first time I've been called that."

Jeongyeon cracked a big smile, seeing Nayeon's bewildered face walking into the kitchen. Quickly noticing what Jeongyeon was implying, Nayeon's cheeks grew red. She flew a hand to cover her mouth.

"Good morning." A cheeky grin on her face, Jeongyeon turned around to greet her best friend, holding up two full platters.

"Morning." Nayeon's words were muffled, staring at the plate of food instead of Jeongyeon's face.

Stabbing a piece of sausage, Jeongyeon stayed standing up, putting her elbows on the counter. Nayeon doesn't say a word, tossing around the ricecakes with her fork in silence. The effectiveness of the meal started to wear off, the thoughts from earlier tricking back to Nayeon's mind.

How can I be sad over something I don't even know?

Jeongyeon detected the state her best friend was in, slowing down her chewing to focus more on what Nayeon was doing. Looking at the two plates of food, Jeongyeon questioned to herself. What's the matter with her? Does she not like my cooking? It can't be, my cooking's delicious.

"Is something wro--"

The front door jingled and Nayeon's mother walked in, feeling exhausted. Seeing the two girls in the kitchen made her feel content to be home.

"Oh thank goodness, Jeongyeon. You're still here." She walked over, already out of breath, and snatched a chicken wing from the warm basket sitting in the middle of the two plates. Nayeon's mother kissed Nayeon on the side of the head, and went upstairs, leaving the two alone again.

Chuckling to herself and amused with the quick happenstance, Jeongyeon's attention goes back to Nayeon, who stopped eating completely. Feeling her mother no longer with them, Nayeon dropped her fork, causing a loud clang. She leaned in, unaware of where Jeongyeon was.