vi. Stone Cold

Nayeon woke up in bed, feeling emptier than a bag of air. Saturday's happenstance was still fresh in her mind, that unnecessary argument between her and Jeongyeon replaying constantly like a broken record. Pounding her head with the base of her hand, she wanted it to stop. A slight sting came to her chest as the memory came back to her in a heated flash. Jeongyeon's words resonated through her head.

Not everything is about you, Nabongs.

Her words cut deeper than a knife. Watching Jeongyeon leave her confounded in the parking lot made her feel insignificant. It was like at that moment, Jeongyeon's world no longer revolved around her and Jihyo replaced her, being the brightest star in her galaxy. She seemed like she had Jeongyeon wrapped around her finger and ever since they met, Jeongyeon's interest transferred to her. Nayeon knew she shouldn't feel that way and she had nothing against Jihyo. But that hole in her chest started forming as soon as Jeongyeon kept slowly slipping away from her grasp. Now, the pair weren't speaking to each other and passed by like it was nothing.

Momo couldn't get through to either of the two. Both of them being the utmost of hardheads, they were set in their own ways. They won't talk to each other unless the other one initiates it. Since it didn't look like any of those kids were about to break away from their tough shells and make up with each other, Momo couldn't do anything about it. Talking to both of them didn't do much good either. Jeongyeon would rant about how Nayeon was being selfish and Nayeon argued how Jeongyeon should be more considerate with how she feels.

Today was the moment Nayeon had anticipated for some time. With all the emotional stress she inquired from Jeongyeon, the realization that she was to sing the National Anthem at Friday's football game nearly slipped her mind. She hadn't practiced since that one time when Jeongyeon came over, but according to Momo, Nayeon's vocals were phenomenal that practicing wouldn't be needed. Even so, Nayeon was a greater wreck than before.

During times of crisis, Jeongyeon would be her go-to for almost anything. The incompatible feeling of complete isolation foreign to Nayeon and thinking about Jeongyeon never speaking to her scared Nayeon to death. Momo became her designated emotional-supporter and half of the time, Nayeon bawled her eyes out while Momo shushed her and rubbed her back. She was never really keen with words and comforting people wasn't her area.

Another tear was about to slip when her phone sent out a small ding. Recollecting herself, she cleared her throat, vigorously kneading her face out of frustration. The day was already starting off poorly and she hadn't even gotten out of bed yet. With a heavy sigh, Nayeon threw the covers from her body, her feet hitting the floor to look for her bedroom slippers.

Just then, she remembered about the text message. "Oh, yeah. Alexa, read the text message out to me."

"One new message from Jeong: Hey, good luck today <3 Sent 3 minutes ago."

Nayeon took a sharp intake of breath. She felt that familiar gutted sensation like getting hit in the stomach. Hearing the voice enunciate the less than three, the heart emoji, made Nayeon a tad bit livelier. It could be a sign that in a way, Jeongyeon was implying that she wanted to make amends and stop whatever nonsense caused them to distance from each other. The animatronic voice awoke Kookeu, who perked up by looking at his conscious owner.

Nayeon picked him up and asked in a doughy tone, "Should I reply to Jeongyeon, Kookeu?"

The dog panted in reply, breathing loudly with his tongue sticking out. He let out a tiny bark, staring back at a hopeful Nayeon.

"But then if she texted me good luck this early then that would mean she still isn't gonna talk to me in person."

At that point, Nayeon wasn't waiting for Kookeu to bark a response to her. She continuously stroke the back of the dog and slowly his eyes would flutter, about to relax into another nap. Nayeon groaned and slammed both of her fists on the bed. She had decided not to reply to Jeongyeon's text. Thinking of a deeper explanation for it started to make Nayeon anxious. She hated the sudden wall that was built between them.