xix. Midnight Blue

It took the pair a couple of hours to get everything they've wanted to admit out in the open. Something in the air told them that despite their refusal on confronting their innermost demons head-on, the fact remains. And that is that they were both profoundly struck by Cupid's bow and were deeply in love with each other. Now that they were both in Jeongyeon's room once again, alone, it was quiet between the two. Their thoughts were so loud that the possibility of them hearing what the other was thinking seemed within reach.

Jeongyeon's cheeks grew red as she tried to hold her breath. To take it out on herself, she blew her frustration into a ball of air, making her look like a chipmunk with rosy cheeks. Nayeon had trouble breathing on her own. She chomped down on her bottom lip so hard that it left a pulsating mark. Jeongyeon chose to look away from Nayeon. They had just finished watching Captain Marvel but it was only five in the afternoon, barely any signs of darkness appeared in the sky.

Come on, Jeongyeon. Since Nayeon has been hanging out at your place more often, you should make the first move. Don't waste an opportunity like this again. Do it, you pu$$y. DO IT.

The preexisting air inside her cheeks was pushing further in, causing her cheeks to swell up. The words did not want to come out. Her face was turning purple, creeping to a shade of blue. At that point, Nayeon had to burst her bubble once she heard the sounds of air being forcefully squeezed out.

Lifting a confused brow up, Nayeon turned to face Jeongyeon. "Jeong? Are you ok-"

"NABONGS, WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A DATE WITH ME?" Jeongyeon held her arms tightly against her body, fists balled up tightly. All l the air she was holding finally came out in one giant yell.

Taking a quick peek at Nayeon after Jeongyeon's huge outburst, she saw all the color drained from her face like she had seen a ghost. Nayeon's eyes were the size of dinner plates. She didn't think Jeongyeon needed to scream the question in her face.

Nayeon didn't even have to think about it twice nor did she hesitate for a second. She gave Jeongyeon an assertive yet soft smile that almost caused the other girl's heart to pause. That smiled that could make her swim the deepest oceans and walk the farthest miles. That smile that would make Jeongyeon make ends meet. That smile that belonged to the most precious being she will ever cherish.

"Aii Yoo Jeongyeon, you're so loud. And what for? Of course, I will go on a date with you, pabo. You're gonna wake the neighbors with your loud voice." Nayeon gave Jeongyeon a slight nudge. If she could roll her eyes, then she would, at this specific instance.

Hearing Nayeon's playful tone gave light to Jeongyeon's heart. To Nayeon, she was only feigning cool for Jeongyeon's sake. She wanted to be more comfortable with her. Jeongyeon thought that they were a step closer into their not-so-called-relationship-yet. This stage was rather fuzzy; the outcome of the date would be unpredictable. Unless Jeongyeon planned it meticulously and everything went accordingly, then all would be fine.

That was two nights ago, on a Wednesday.

Tonight, at this very minute, Jeongyeon was frantically walking back and forth in her room. She was practically burning circles into the floors. Chaeyoung came over to assist her panicked co-worker and friend. But even after Chaeyoung had settled into Jeongyeon's home, the panic mode did not stop.

"Jeongyeon, what are you so worried for? You got this in the bag!"

Disregarding Chaeyoung's words of encouragement, Jeongyeon continued to pace faster. The shorter girl's attempt to get her friend to stop losing her nerves didn't work even in the slightest. This was all new territory for Jeongyeon and Nayeon.