xxix. Reconcile (Part 1)

Nothing says peaceful relaxation and releasing toxins from your body like an evening jog to the park. Kookeu clandestinely appeared to agree with the activity. Nayeon had to think of something to do since her classes finished earlier than expected due to the professor's stomach flu that apparently needed "immediate attention." She didn't want to be cramped up in the dorm. Even Suzy was out with her own friends.

Immediately, Kookeu sprung up from the couch when Nayeon thought out loud about jogging to the park for some fresh air. The dog wanted to get up and go so he pushed the notion by barking loudly and running to fetch his leash. Head held up high and nose sticking up in the air, Kookeu presented the leash to Nayeon.

On a stool that was stuck to the ground sat Nayeon who was lost in thought. She had her hand on top of her chin, another leg rested on the second stool in front of her. Glancing down at a white figure, she was amused to see Kookeu with the leash in his mouth, wagging his tail, pumped up to go out to the park.

"Kookeu, you're a genius, boy." Nayeon leaned down to take the leash from him, smiling delightedly.

One of Nayeon's favorite things to do before ending the day was to take a jog in the local park during her high school years. What's funny was that she couldn't figure out where she was even going since she was blind. She chuckled at the memory.

Damn, I was really a blind girl just walking through.

Bringing back that specific memory also triggered something else from her past. She instantly frowned, feeling a knot form in her stomach. She couldn't think of such a thing right now and she shouldn't.

She needed her mind to be clear, and to be able to face whatever may happen the day after. It made her appreciate the simple things in life a lot more. Jogging in the park during early hours opens up opportunities to see different scenes and portraits and open up Nayeon's mind to a new perspective.

It wasn't that she took seeing for granted. Even when she couldn't see, when she stopped sulking and feeling sorry for herself, she learned how precious life could be.

Entering the park, a slight breeze rustled the leaves making them fall to the solid ground one by one. The sun began to set, putting most of the tired sleepers down. Flowers were vast, and they concealed the freshly cut green grass. There are sun-colored daisies, vivid purple lilies, carrot tinted hydrangeas, and cotton candy pink hyacinths.

The pathway was nothing more than dirt littered with random rocks. The ground, moist from the night before, causes my footing to slip, keeping Nayeon on her toes.

There was a white picket fence that runs along the trail, reminding her of the one running along Marilla and Matthew's property in the movie, Anne of Green Gables. The park was barren except for an elderly couple feeding the ducks and a couple of fellow joggers breathing in the fresh morning air.

Nayeon watched them for a few minutes before continuing on her way with Kookeu. He slowed down when she slowed down, and he sped up when Nayeon started to move faster, loosely pulling the leash along.

Walking by the minute green and brown tinted pond, the milky white, soft feathered ducks could be heard a block away as they quacked and battled for the food being thrown for them. The elderly couple, dressed in their black silk slacks and crème colored matching sweaters, watched in amusement as they were the ones causing all the excitement.

Behind the oddly shaped rocks and algae in the pond, orange, red, and yellow fish dart back and forth. They only come out of hiding when minuscule hints of bread began to fall. Nayeon caught a glimpse of something hiding. If she looked closely enough, she could see a turtle, colored forest green, blending in with the algae.