xxxii. One Q

Christmas was just around the corner. However, Christmas break had already started and everyone couldn't wait to get a head start on their winter plans. Some people celebrate it early and some do it at a later day in the month. Regardless, any day in December was still as thoroughly Christmas as one could ask for.

December is probably the best month out of the twelve in the year.

Snowy trees, beautiful afternoon sunsets, soothing darkness. Ancient Christmas songs playing by the lutist Rolf Lislevand, some medieval Christmas chants, and then some Palestrina. A real Christmas tree, naturally. The scent is the most important thing. As long as they could, people would rather have a living spruce in their living room. Delicious food; many kinds of fish, oven-roasted root vegetables, saffron buns, fruitcake, gingerbread biscuits and lots of chocolate.

Children's laughter. Joy in the eyes of the old.

Spending Christmas Eve with your family, all together. It was very special to be there, with all these people still, no one missing. The older we get, the more we appreciate what we have now.

Christmas is celebrated a few days after the winter solstice, the longest night of the year, the darkest night. In the past, during this period people would tell scary stories full of mystery in the light of the fire. To think that a merry holiday would have so much cheer, Nayeon didn't think that anything could go wrong.

The university gave a staggering five weeks off for Christmas break. This was the greatest news to receive for everyone. Nayeon was going to visit Jeongyeon and stay over for the first four weeks of the break. She would dedicate the last week to prepping their dorm and make sure that everything wasn't out of place.

Kookeu was more than eager to help her pack the necessities. Just for the sake of getting acquainted with another, Nayeon decided that Kookeu would stay in the dorms with Suzy. Her roommate said that she would be staying in the dorm for the entire break since money was tight for her family and they had other complex situations that involved tons of paper.

She proposed that she would watch Kookeu for the time being. Quite saddened of what her roommate told her but she was elated that she offered to watch Kookeu while she was gone. Nayeon made a mental note that she would buy her some goodies while at New York.

When Nayeon whistled over for Kookeu to come to her, he had such a sprightly look on his face with his tongue hanging out of the corner of his mouth and his tail wagging as fast as the ceiling fan. Nayeon knelt down and scratched him under his chin, which he seemed very pleased by this. She then went for the back of his ears and that made Kookeu tapped his feet repeatedly, extremely satisfied with the treatment he was being given.

Nayeon laughed, looking at her excited pup. She continued to shower him with scratches as the bad news was said.
"You're gonna be staying here for the break. Okay, Kookeu? I'll be gone for four weeks. But don't be sad because Suzy is going to take very good care of you. Alright?"

Kookeu appeared to understand every single word Nayeon said. His expressions rapidly changed from confused to inevitably crestfallen. Nayeon wished to not have seen the sad image of her pup and cupped his fury face before shaking his head as a last parting gesture.

As Nayeon stood up, Kookeu let out a small whimper. Staring down at her dejected dog with a slight frown, Nayeon took her rolling luggage with a frown and waved at Suzy as she left the dorm. Nayeon made her way to the elevator. To her luck, nobody else came out of their room to use the elevator. She had two large luggage's and a backpack so her hands were quite full.