xxvi. Live and Let Live

Graduating from high school can be a roller coaster of emotions. You'll feel so many emotions before, during, and after, you graduate. Fear, excitement, sadness, happy, boredom, relief, and grateful. There's no helping in feeling all of this when you're going to enter another chapter in your life that has uncertain possibilities. It's right in front of you and yet, you don't know what you're exactly looking at.

Today was the day that everyone had anticipated; graduation day. It was graduation morning and Nayeon groggily opened her eyes to something. She saw her bedroom ceiling for the first time. Not really the first time but she had forgotten what color they were. She could care less about the blinding light that shone through the cracks of the blinds in her window. She was too busy taking in everything.

Although it's been a while since she last saw her room, Nayeon thought that nothing was out of place. Even after all these years, everything was in its original spot. She peeled over her bed to see Kookeu still fast asleep.

Nayeon cooed silently over how much he's grown. She was slightly getting emotional. It came to her that now wasn't the time to waste tears. She needed them for later. She had already done enough crying with Jeongyeon a few months ago.

Taking her eyes away from her little man sleeping in the corner, Nayeon scanned over all the items that laid around her room. They were kept untouched. The beanbag sat all alone next to her closet collecting dust mites. The scooter that she tossed away without a second thought was slightly peeking from its hiding spot. There was even a pair of brand new sneakers that her mother bought but completely forgot to wear since Kookeu never got that for her.

Nonetheless, Nayeon was content with this, where she was right now. She didn't mind the clutter in her room. She even liked the way it was. When Nayeon took a deep breath, the alluring smell of freshly cooked breakfast. Somehow, being able to see increased Nayeon's enjoyment of the smell. She removed the covers, putting on her slippers, and was about to pick up Kookeu into her arms, feeling rather ecstatic at this time. But she stopped and thought to not disturb him and he would wake and walk down at his own time.

Nayeon exited her room, turned to her left and was met with her dearest enemy for the first time. She could clearly see the stares and the more she looked down at it with a hard glare, the stairs seemed to extend longer. To Nayeon, it looked like it was going to take months for her to get to the kitchen.

She was shaken up trying to push her first foot forward. And then another. And then another. Before she even knew it, she had walked down the stairs all by herself with no assistance at all. And she felt proud of herself for doing so.

Her mother was merrily humming to herself in the kitchen, apron wrapped around her while her father was sitting on the armchair with his IPad again. Ryler and Yamaha were noisily going at each other's throats again. They weren't trying to killing each other but having small arguments on who got the last piece of toast.

Immediately, the two youngsters ceased their petty fighting once Nayeon reached the kitchen. They gawked at their big sister, wondering how she appeared to be simmering with sunshine. Then, it came to them of what their mother had said. They rushed to Nayeon and hugged her tightly, tears streaming down their eyes.

"Bugs, your eyes...they look so pretty." Ryler was in complete awe at this.

Yamaha, on the other hand, was clinging on tightly to Nayeon's skirt, crying stronger than her brother was.