42-♫-Longest Night

♫-Chapter 42

Is it dark, where you are?

Can you count the stars where you are?

Do you feel like you are a thousand miles from home?

            “The problem, is that tumor right there,” the doctor says objectively, using the tip of his pen to point to a faded grey area in the MRA scan.

            I can feel my body shaking, my knees knocking against each other as I grip the edge of the table, peering up at the spot on the scan.

            Tumor.

            “S-so, this-“ I can’t even say the word as the doctor waits patiently for me to continue. “this is what has caused his hearing to deteriorate?”

            It was hard to believe that the little white spot the size of  golf ball was what caused all of this.

            “I’m afraid so. Before, we thought it was just the neural connection between the temporal lobe and the auditory nerve; however, with this tumor, I’m afraid losing his hearing is the last thing Mr. kemps should be worrying about right now,” the doctor says, his gaze flickering from Mrs. Kemps and me.

            I didn’t like how formal and stone cold everything was.

            “So the fainting episodes, his weight loss, the painful headaches- their all because of the-“ I begin.

            “-tumor.” The doctor finishes, nodding with a grim look on his face. “Right now, the most important thing is making sure he stays alive…not his hearing.”

            My chin trembles and Mrs. Kemps goes pale.

            “Why didn’t you guys catch this before?” Mrs. Kemps asks slowly.

            The doctor stiffens, a defensive look in his eyes. “the tumor grew fast, when we first saw this little spot, we thought nothing of it-“

            “That’s your job,” Mrs. Kemps interrupts, a deadly look on her face.

            Caitlin places a warning hand on Mrs. Kemps and I can feel the air cracking with tension.

            “You job was to find out what was wrong with my son. You were supposed to explore anything that looked like it could have been an issue but because you were too lazy-“ Mrs. Kemps begins to rant.

            “-We were not being lazy. In all honesty, it didn’t seem like a big deal at the time,” the doctor exclaims, incredulous.

            “but it’s a big deal right now!” Mrs. Kemps cries, her shoulders heaving. “Teegan- my son, my baby- is lying in a coma on that hospital bed right now all because you couldn’t bother to check out that small tumor in his brain. His heart stopped,” Mrs. Kemps whispers, choking on her sobs. “Twice.”
            I feel lightheaded, like the walls are closing in and all I can hear is the hallow echo of my breathes.

            Black dots cloud my vision and I can’t remember the last time i slept.

            Feeling a warm arm wrap around my shoulders, I meekly look up to see Caitlin beside me, holding me up with a sad smile on her face.