Evan

The Night Before.

"You fucking like my sister?" I sneered once he opened the door.

"Well fuck, hello to you to man," Aston said with a smirk.

He stepped to the side to let me in, if I wasn't so pissed off at him for liking my sister. I would have felt great to have him back in our life. So many thoughts were going through my head, and I knew for a fact that Mel was hurting. No matter how hard I try to keep her safe someone or something has to hurt her. I know that I can't protect her from everything but I can at least try.

"What makes you think I like your sister?"

Turning to face him I crossed my arms over my chest. "Don't play stupid with me, Ashton. I'm fucking tired of people lying and shit."

Ashton sighed and took a sit on the sofa and gestured I do the same. "I didn't plan on this man, you have to believe me. Yes, Mel is beautiful, but her shyness and the way she goes about things makes her gorgeous. My feeling for her didn't intensify until I got relocated."

Searching his face I looked for some type of lie but didn't find one. Sitting back on the sofa, I thought about how I feel about this. Mel was my little sister and I would do anything for her. Even if that meant keeping my best friends away from her. Ashton was a good guy and that is why I brought him around Mel. The day I befriended him was the first day at a new school. Some guys were talking about her and Ashton stepped up and shut it down. At lunch that day, I went up to him and thanked him because if I would have done it, I would have beaten their faces in.

"Mel isn't strong enough to deal with something like this, at least not yet. Hell, Bo just fucking called this shit out. Which by the way you should have fucking told me, I shouldn't have to find out by someone else. Mel isn't talking to me right now maybe you can help me out on this shit man."

"I know I should had told you but I didn't know how to. I'll watch out for her no matter where we end up. She's not ready for anything right now, I know that. But I'm hoping one day she will be."

Staring at my best friend I didn't know how to respond, even if I were to say he can't date my sister he would try anyways. Mel was a soft soul and I can't deny that Ashton would be good for her. He understands everything that has happened. He has been a big help for her and me. There was no going back from here, it's out in the open. He can either act on it or wait and there is not a damn thing I can do about it.

~

Looking at the bed Mel was still fast asleep. It hurt to know that she was in trouble yesterday and I wasn't there to help. I let my anger get the best of me again if I didn't go to Ashton's I would have been able to help her. It could have been in that chair and it could have been me he grabbed by the throat. Taking one last look at Mel I head downstairs, putting my phone to my ear I waited for Olivia to pick it.

"Olivia Meyers."

"Olivia, I have to ask you something important."

She was quiet at first, probably because I never ask anything of her. I usually give her the cold shoulder and bad mouth her. "Okay, what do you need to ask?"

Clearing my throat I looked around to make sure Bo or Catalina weren't around. Even though I was glad Bo showed up when he did, I wasn't ready to trust him. He also seems to have a big stick up his fucking ass with all his damn rules and shit.

"When you took our case, did you get any files or paperwork?" I said. "Like the papers that belonged to my mom and we are supposed to get them at a certain age?"

"The only paperwork I got was the police report and all of your medical care you received. Then all the ones when you guys went from foster home to foster home," she said sounding a little confused. "Why are you asking?"