(11) Laxus x Reader ~ Wherever We Go

Originally a separate one-shot for Kittykat5900 's contest, but I decided to add a copy here.
Word count: 1547
(h/c): hair color
Italicized words: thoughts

~Flashback~

"Gramps, aren't you going to participate in the Fantasia this time?" A nine-year-old Laxus Dreyar asks his grandfather happily while a his (h/c) haired friend, (Y/n), bounces in the balls of her feet.

"Yea, Gramps," (Y/n) excitedly adds.

The two kids have been waiting for, what seemed like forever to them, the parade and decided to ask Makarov about his part in it.

"Don't worry about me," the Guild Master replies, shaking his head ever so slightly along with his verbal response. The two best friends put their hands to their heads, pondering over who knows what. Suddenly, Laxus jumps up in the air with a huge smile on his face.

"I got it!"

"Hmm?" (Y/n) hums out in confusion and wonderment. Said blond turns to the (h/c) haired girl and whispers something in her ear. She nods and they both turn to face the old man.

"Then, in the middle of the parade...," Laxus begins, throwing up his right arm in one swift motion with his index finger pointing up and his thumb out," I'll go like this!"

"Me too!" (Y/n) follows her friend's example and throws her arm into the air. Both children have toothy grins on their small faces as they show Makarov their little plan.

"What's that?" Makarov curiously inquires the two, smiling at the their adorable faces.

"A message," Laxus explains with his arm still raised. "It means that even if we can see where you are, I'm always looking at you, Gramps!"

Giggling, (Y/n) nods in agreement with the blond and hugs his arm. Tears build up in Makarov's eyes upon hearing the words come out of his grandson's mouth.

"Laxus..."

~End of Flashback~

A bandaged up Laxus, now in his twenties, stares at his right hand with his index finger pointing up and thumb out. He smiles and gets lost in thought while remembering the fond memory. A gentle hand on his shoulder pulls him out of his thoughts.

"Laxus, are you ok?"

The soft voice of his childhood friend makes him smile more. Laxus turns to face the woman he's known for a majority of his life. The expression on her face conveys her worrying. He hugs her before the two make their way to the Fairy Tail infirmary.

Bright beams of sunshine brighten up the almost empty infirmary room.

Almost empty.

Master Makarov, with his eyes closed, lies in the cot at the far end of the room. At the doorway, Laxus is leaning against the wall and (Y/n) is standing quietly beside him, waiting for his the Guild Master to say something.

"What a noisy bunch," the old man mutters to himself. He slowly sits up and pulls off the pristine white sheets. "Do you two understand what you have done?" There is no anger in his voice when he speaks to Laxus and (Y/n), but his tone is stern. The two look off to the side, not wanting to meet his gaze.