(35) Gajeel x Reader ~ Frustrations

Word Count: 1090

The screeching sound of contorting metal irritates the sensitivity of Panther Lily's ears as he sits on the bar's counter top, polishing the blade of his weapon while conversing with Gajeel. The exceed shakes his head with a sigh. For the past two weeks, Gajeel has been irked by the obscene comments floating around about (Y/n), his wife. After three years of marriage, the iron dragon slayer thought the dirty remarks would settle down; he knows they'll never completely stop until they age to a point where the young, hormonal, immature mages find her unattractive in their eyes, though obviously not his own.

"They're talking about her again, aren't they," Panther Lily inquires knowingly without the need to look up from his task. Despite the unfortunate situation involving his two crime-fighting partners, the exceed cannot help but feel quite amused. Their friendship goes back more than a decade, yet he had yet to see Gajeel act in such a protective manner until recent events forced that side of him to rear its ugly head.

Simply growling with unadulterated anger, the iron dragon slayer clenches his fists and slams them down against the countertop, startling Panther Lily and causing his small, light body to bounce up in response. He glares momentarily at Gajeel with a pointed look before returning his attention to the blade in his lap.

"You know, Gajeel, it will never stop until someone does something about it. This is just going to loop into a continuous cycle."

"I know that!"

"Then get off your butt and stop them from talking about her's!"

Grumbling and groaning like a machine that hasn't been operating for several centuries, the iron dragon slayer slides off the barstool and strides over to (Y/n), who is happily chatting with her friends, leaning half-way across the table with her arms propping up her head, unaware of her shirt riding up from its original spot, exposing a fairly large portion of the small of her back, which is the topic of conversation two tables back.

Gajeel places a large hand gently on his wife's shoulder, startling her. (Y/n) would have flipped the iron dragon slayer on his back and onto the table with her strong arms wrapped tightly around his neck if she had not spent several years memorizing and acquainting herself with his touch. She can be blindfolded and still differentiate between stranger's hand from that of her her husband, skill she is proud to have gained.

"Gajeel! I missed you," (Y/n) greets cheerfully, standing briefly to press a quick kiss on his lips. "What's up?"

"You're showing a lot of skin down here," Gajeel informs her quietly, standing directly behind (Y/n) to cover her form as he grasps the hem of her shirt, tugging it as far down as it will stretch, sighing in relief all the while. "Check before we leave the house next time." The iron dragon slayer pulls (Y/n) in for a second kiss before returning to his exceed partner.

"Thank you, Gajeel! Love ya'," she thanks with a wave before returning to her conversation.

"So do I," Gajeel replies jokingly. He settles back onto his barstool and continues to munch on a metal pipe. His sour mood slowly evens out, replaced with a brighter one, though he does nothing to show it, while reminiscing over cherished memories of (Y/n).

The guild around the iron dragon slayer bustles with activity. Guild members come and go as they scramble across the hall with unspoken urgency. Eager hands thrust forward to snatch job fliers off the wall before their stuffing the papers into their bags, the mages scurrying out the doors with excitement as their teammates chase after them.

A newer group of members, having joined last month, plows into the hall, forcing the crowds to part for them as the approach the bar. They each take a seat and order their respective drinks. The leader, an obnoxious, stuck up, cowardly man named Unferth, drops down onto the the barstool beside Gajeel. He smiles widely, baring his blackened, uncared-for teeth, his sour breath nauseating the iron dragon slayer far worse than any form of transportation. Panther Lily hops off the counter in an instant, waving a one-handed salute at his friend before running over to the safety of his other companion, jumping onto her lap and nuzzling into the warmth of her body.

"Have you seen that lady," Unferth sneers lustily, "I'd love to take her away. She has s-"

Anger clouds over Gajeel, the words spewing out of the foul man's mouth muffled by the iron dragon slayer's strong emotions. In one swift, single motion, his balled-up fist swings out like a high speed wrecking ball, connecting with Unferth's left cheek. The force of Gajeel's punch sends Unferth flying back, his body crashing into his partners.

"I dare you to say that again," growls Gajeel, huffing with labored breaths. "Any of you! If I hear one more disgusting word about (Y/n), my wife, come out of any of your mouths, I won't hesitate to hurt you. It won't matter if you're stronger than me, 'cuz I'll make sure you will be the opposite once I'm through with you."

Before Gajeel can land another blow on the wailing man, (Y/n) sweeps in, Panther Lily cozily tucked in her arms with a proud smirk on his face, and grabs her husband's raised fist. She then drags Gajeel out of the guild hall and onto their usual path home with an iron grip keeping him from straying off.

"It's not worth it," (Y/n) mumbles as the trio enter their home. The woman sets the sleeping exceed in her arms onto a small bed made for him, stroking his soft coat of fur for a moment before walking toward her and Gajeel's shared bedroom. "Don't start a fight about an issue that won't disappear when you want it to. Things will settle in time."

"But they have no right to look at you and talk about you in that way. It is disgusting and makes me more angry each time."

"Like I said it'll go away eventually. Trust me when I say you'll want to save your for your daughter's future. It'll come in handy when she brings home a boy." Without another word, (Y/n) slips away into the bedroom, giggling quietly to herself.

"Yeah, yeah, what ever you- ... Wait a minute! What do you mean daughter?!"