(48) Sting x Reader ~ Opinions [Pt.2]

Word Count: 1244

"You're late."

With his foot tapping on the cobblestone floor, impatience flowing through his veins, Sting scowls as he watches (Y/n) trudge up to the guild with only a backpack housing her belongings for the journey.

"We're not going on an island vacation, Sting." Instead of replying to his comment, the woman pokes back at the blond dragon slayer with a comment of her own while pointing at the large luggage on wheels that stands beside said dragon slayer. "Are you truly that much of a diva to need so much stuff?"

"Shut up. You don't even know what's in there. I would have packed more if I were you; we're going into the mountains."

"I've learned to pack light over the years."

Eyebrows raise in hesitance, but Sting does not question (Y/n)'s decision; he cannot help but respect her skill of living without the need to rely on possessions, but there is no way he would state his opinion of such aloud.

"Let's go. We're already late because of you."

---

Reaching the outskirts of the town, Sting and (Y/n) notice a large gate that ensures outsiders maintain a distance of ten feet before being permitted to enter the property. Before announcing their arrival or getting any closer to the gate, the duo cautiously check the entire length of the hinged barrier, stealth being of the utmost importance for the time being; they need to examine the gate for any weaknesses that can be used to their advantage.

"Yes!" (Y/n) silently cheers upon spotting a crack in the bars on the south side of the gated town. From the looks of it, whoever spotted before her tried to cover up the broken metal bars by moving them back into its original position and painting over the discolored areas, acting as if the gate is in perfect condition. With a strong push, (Y/n) is able to jar the broken section out of place, leaving enough space for two adults of average size to slip in and out. "This could come in handy."

(Y/n) gently yanks the broken gate piece back into place and quickly jogs back towards the designated rendezvous point, a blind spot from the watchtowers by the front gate which serves as a perfect observation spot. Sting is already sitting behind of tree when she approaches, fanning himself with his hand while complaining about the summer heat.

"Take off your jacket! I can't even stand the heat in this," the blond dragon slayer pesters, gesturing to his usual top that resembles a turtleneck with no sleeves and a cropped hem that ends just below his pectorals. "If you overheat, I'm not going to carry you back to the city!"

"You're the one who wanted to rent rooms in an urban area!"

"Because it's safer there, you idiot!"

A sharp pang of pain strikes at (Y/n)'s heart. Sure, Sting has insulted her many times, but for some reason, this one hurts her; it leaves an impact. For a split second, the blond dragon slayer witnesses her lips curl into a frown before returning to its usual stoic expression. He wants to question the odd occurance, but a sudden crashing noise startles the two mages, bodies tensed and ready for a battle.

"Where is he," Sting all but shouts, body twisting dramatically as he flails his arms about, "Let me at 'im!"

"Uhh...Sting..."

Poking the blond dragon slayer with her index finger, (Y/n) points to a fallen branch with a young squirrel's tail trapped beneath the wooden object. Once Sting realizes his overreaction directed at the situation, his cheeks burn brightly with a scarlet hue as (Y/n) works to calm the frightened rodent. She cradles it in her arms, rubbing a finger against the squirrel's chubby cheeks before deciding to concentrate on the job at hand.

"We should head over to the gates now. We only have a couple of hours before the sun sets, so we need to work quickly. Walking around these parts of the forest is dangerous at night."

"How would you know it's dangerous? You been here before?"

"No, but I can tell by the denseness of the vegetation and lack of sunlight penetrating through the canopy of leaves above us. If sunlight barely reaches past the treetops, the moonlight will have an even harder time. Once the sun falls, the land around us will be shrouded in pitch blackness. Areas like this are perfect hunting grounds for predators of any kind, humans included. Trust me on this."

"Fine. Let's go."

---

"Who are you," questions the massive armed guard who approached the gate upon spotting the two mages. "Visitors are not permitted here without invitation."

Glancing at each other, Sting and (Y/n) try to deduce whether or not the guard belongs to the village, or if his loyalty lies with the gang leader.

"We're here to provide assistance," (Y/n) states calmly. She chooses her words carefully, ensuring for there to be wiggle room in the event that the man turns out to be sided with the gang. "My partner and I were requested specifically."

Once the guard listens to the young woman's explanation, he spares a brief glance at the watchtowers before stepping up closer to the gate. In a hushed tone, he quickly explains the unfortunate situation the town has been enduring, and that the townspeople are banned from contacting the outside world.

"Well, we have papers stating that several villagers are asking for our help, so here we are," Sting says.

"Very well then. Just know that these people mean business. If they see you as a threat, they won't hesitate to do what needs to be done to eliminate the problem. We've already lost many good folks because of them; they killed the town judge and several officers."

Signaling to the thugs in the watchtowers, the guard permits the mages entrance into the town. Another guard emerges from a hut by the towers and oversees the gate as the first guard guides Sting and (Y/n) down a path that leads to a small building standing at the far end of the town property.

"What's in there," (Y/n) inquiries while nodding towards the largest building— a brick structure will barred windows and guards posted at the entrance.

The guard checks his surroundings, surveying for any thugs within earshot, before replying, "That's where they take all the females. Many of the mages who are female have been dragged out of the town and we haven't seen them since. I overheard the gang leader talking, and they're apparently selling them as enslaved workers. Every single day, we hear their cries for help, but there are many thugs guarding the place.

"Our mayor managed to make a deal with the gang, so the males were spared; unfortunately, the females were not a topic for discussion. Males are in their own homes, but the gang members stop by each house every five hours to check for any suspicious activity or items considered to be contraband."

All chatter ceases when they come within ten feet of the building. The guard explains the situation two the thugs at the door, who glare suspiciously at the man, but allow for him to enter the building.

"What do you want," bellows a man seated behind a wooden desk, his large stomach preventing him from sitting too close to the piece of furniture. "I don't recall asking to be disturbed."

To Be Continued.