(48) Sting x Reader ~ Opinions [Pt.1]

Word Count: 1280
(Y/f/n): Your full name
Italicized body of text: flashback

A deafening silence fills the air like an elephant in the room as Sting, who is sprawled out across the small surface of the bed, maps out his plans for the task he will be taking on in the morning. Rogue had approached him three nights ago with a packet of papers in hand, whispering the details to the blond dragon slayer despite the privacy the two of them have from being in Sting's office. According to several reports, there has been a desperate plea for help from villagers whose town has been taken over by a gang of thugs. Ordinarily, such a job would have been taken and completed within a week at the most, but all those who have taken the job, before it reached Rogue's ears, disappeared without a trace, with the exception of one from each pair or mages. Many pairs of the mages who took on the job and discussed their plans in the public were found a few days later, brutally murdered.

---

"I think you should take on the job." The black-haired man explains to his partner in a hushed voice, glancing around the room every so often to stay alert, despite having Frosch and Lector keeping guard on the other side of the doors."Even though we're equally matched, I believe that you are the strongest, not just physically."

"Wait, why can't we both go?"

"Because," Rogue argues, "the person who posted the job asks specifically for one male mage and one female mage. Plus, from what I've been hearing, the thugs have been taking the women and keeping them in a guarded home that is secluded from the others. Of all the mages who attempted to liberate the town, only the males returned. The females who partnered with them were taken hostage like the other villagers."

"But why ask for one female specifically? Why not two men, or two women? Why not a large group? The more help, the better," inquires Sting. A frown tugs at his lips as the blond tries to pick apart the situation. The main point of interest is the demand for specifically one male accompanied by a single female.

"I don't know. Maybe they need the woman to do a specific job?"

"No...That still wouldn't make sense. Something isn't right..."

"Well," Rogue murmurs while stretching his limbs, sore from sitting in the same position for an extended period of time, "I think you should go, and take (Y/n) with you too. She's really strong. Just taking her on alone is a death wish. If I hadn't sparred with her, I wouldn't be saying that. I've seen her incapacitate an entire dark guild on her own when I went on that job with her last month; don't know why she asked for me to go with her if she was gonna take care of solo."

"You speak too highly of her. (Y/n) is no better than that ingot from Fairy Tail."

"She's the strongest we have, so whether you like it or not, I say she's your best bet."

---

"Yo," Sting greets at an obnoxious volume, slamming his drink down at (Y/n)'s table as he settles down beside her without an invite. The blond's sudden appearance and loud entrance startles (Y/n), effectively prompting her head to jerk up and away from the lore tome she had been dedicating her undivided attention to this entire morning. "You're coming on a job with me."

"Oh... Um, no thank you."

"I didn't ask you. I'm telling you. As your guild master, I am ordering you to be my companion for a tricky job that is very insistent about who goes."

Sting's wording nearly gives Lector, who is seated at a neighboring table, a heart attack. Sure, the dragon slayer means well and secretly wishes for (Y/n) to agree without any hesitation — solely because he is the one asking — but his approach would leave any person unmoved; he does not blame her for turning Sting down.

"So the paper demands that Sting Eucliffe and (Y/f/n) go solve their dilemma?"

"Uh, no...bu-"

"I'm sorry, Sting, but I work alone."

Butterflies flutter around in her stomach as Sting's intense stare practically drills holes into her face. As much as (Y/n) would love to accept his offer, many reasons are holding her back, guilt hovering over her shoulder as a silent reminder of the wrongs from her past.

Subconsciously, (Y/n)'s fingers reach down to the sleeves of her coat, tugging on the hems to cover as much skin as possible. She finds great comfort in wearing concealing clothes, going so far as to wear a turtleneck in the middle of summer just to hide her skin from prying eyes. Unlike what other people may think, she has no scars or unwanted figure to cover up; her skin houses a very personal reminder of the wrongdoings of her past self, and she plans to keep them a secret.

Unfortunately for her, Sting's attention was drawn to the sudden movement of her hands. He asks her to explain the seemingly odd habit of hers.

"It's nothing to worry about. I just felt a slight breeze."

"(Y/n), it's nearly ninety degrees and there was no breeze of any sort. What are you hiding from me," growls the impatient dragon slayer, "I am your guild master, and I demand an answer from you."

By now, Sting's outburst has gained the attention of the entire guild; tension rises as (Y/n) desperately plans out her escape from the many stares and gossipers. For a moment, the young mage debates the idea of simply booking, but that thought goes down the drain in an instant when two muscular arms plant themselves firmly on each side of her, trapping its victim until the desired response is given.

"Fine," (Y/n) scowls, knowing that by agreeing with Sting's insistence that she accompanies him for the job, he will be distracted from pushing her about her sleeves. "I am not happy about this one bit, so don't you dare think for a second that I will be nice to you the entire trip."

In all honesty, (Y/n) knows that she will not stay true to her words. She will eventually forgive her guild master, and she definitely will not hate him. It is practically against her nature to be anything but kind; despite her occupation prior to joining Sabertooth, (Y/n) cannot bring herself to bring harm to others. In an attempt to galm her guilt-ridden heart, she tells herself many times that only the guilty and evil-hearted faced punishment.

"Whatever you say." Standing at full height with a stretch, Sting beckons his exceed to follow him as the blond dragon slayer retreats back to the privacy of his office. "Be at the guild tomorrow, 0400, sharp."

"Ehhh??" Her eyes nearly dart out of their sockets upon hearing the time Sting had set in place. "You can't seriously expect me to be up and ready at four in the morning without even knowing anything about the job!"

As if on cue, a copy of the job description, plus the notes Sting had taken during the debriefing from Rogue, gently glides in the air from side-to-side, landing in her lap as the guild master's door slams shut. Picking up the sheet of parchment, (Y/n) skims over the details written out at the bottom of the page. Once again, her eyes practically pop out.

"He's using me as bait?! That slimy little lizard!"

To Be Continued.