(46) Laxus x Lady!Reader~ Happily Ever After {Monarchy AU} [Pt. 3]

Word Count: 854
雷電: Raiden (thunder and lightning)

Sprawled out on the vast surface of their bed, Laxus and (Y/n) remain curled up against one another as they bask in the comforting silence. The king has his large arms wrapped tightly around his wife, pulling her closer until her chest is flushed against his own.

"You know," Laxus murmurs into the woman's hair, "I was absolutely against the idea of marriage."

"What made you change your mind," (Y/n) inquires, her voice barely a whisper. If a stranger were to ask why she suddenly gave up her struggle against the arranged, forced marriage, she would have an answer right away. Sure, her response might evoke frowns and disapproving comments, but in her heart, (Y/n) knows she made the right decision.

"You."

His answer only confirms the conflict in her mind.

"You know, I never would've thought that the man I'd be forced to marry is of royal lineage. It just didn't seem possible."

"Is that the reason you gave in?"

"Of course not."

In the stables that night, when Laxus had found her hiding in the storage room, (Y/n) knew he was a good man. A man she can trust to keep her safe. A man she fell in love within seconds of meeting him, and unbeknownst to her, Laxus was in love too. Fast forward two weeks, and the two got exactly what their hearts yearned for.

"Not long after my guardsmen and I left that night, I couldn't sleep. It wasn't because I was restless or scared to let my guard down. I couldn't sleep because my mind was stuck on repeat, thinking about you."

A wide grin stretches across Laxus' lips before puckering up to press a kiss against (Y/n)'s. The woman frees her arms from her husband's embrace to wrap them around his neck, kissing back with just as much passion.

In the midst of their display of affection, a shrill cry pierces through the night, all but shattering the romantic moment. Sharing a glance, the married couple wordlessly argue over who should leave the comfortable bed to take on the role of pacifying the uproar.

"Laxus," (Y/n) purrs with playful mischievousness in her tone. "Your son seems to be in need of your presence."

"Oh no you don't," the blond retorts back, "I got up at two several mornings in a row. It's your turn to take care of the prince, my queen."

The last two words of his statement are heavily emphasized in a teasing manner, though Laxus means well. He closes his eyes and nuzzle his nose into the crook of her neck, pressing gentle kisses across the exposed skin. When the warmth beside him disappears, the mattress creaking as (Y/n) slips out of bed, he sneaks in a sly smile.

Soft scratches of the queen's slippers against the stone floors echo throughout the halls as she pads along the chilly corridor to the room closest to her and Laxus', stopping at the door decorated with a painting of a thundering sky — bright streaks of lightning dance across the dark sky, trailing down to the bottom of the door where a small building sits atop a hill.

"Raiden," (Y/n) coos, peeking her head into the room to see the infant in question wailing from the comforts of his crib. "What are you doing up so late, baby? What's the matter?"

Her hands immediately slide beneath Raiden's small body, taking great care to support his head as she cradles the infant in her arms. Much to her disappointment, her son only continues to cry, fat tears rushing down his pudgy face as equally pudgy arms flail about. In an attempt to deduce the problem, (Y/n) goes through a checklist of possible issues, placing her nose a safe distance from Raiden's diaper to smell the cloth.

"You haven't soiled yourself, all your favorite toys are with you, and I fed you less than an hour ago," inquires the young queen with a frown, brows furrowing in deep concentration. "Well, if there is one person who knows you nearly better than I do, it's Laxus."

With a smile on her face, the two venture over to the large bedroom and enter without hesitance. Laxus sits up upon hearing his son's cries grow in volume, offering to hold him as soon as (Y/n) kicks the door shut behind her. He asks the same questions his wife raised while she transfers the infant into his arms knowing very well that he would not receive a coherent response.

In an instant, Raiden's cries dwindle down to soft whines. (Y/n) shakes her head, laughing at the turn of events.

"See," giggles the young queen as she returns to the comforting warmth beneath the duvet, "I told you."

Silencing his teasing with with a chaste kiss, Laxus settles into the bed with Raiden resting cozily between his parents, a gentle smile directed at monarch's two beloved. After all that has taken place, the two parents can safely say that it was all worth it.