(20) Adulterous!Natsu x Reader ~ Too Late For Second Chances {Modern AU}

Requested by @Kisa_Roland .
Romance is not something I'm familiar with, so I write based off what I have read and what I observed in the past. (I hope this isn't bad or cringe-worthy.) Please listen to the song, it's very beautiful and I think it goes well with the storyline overall.
I apologize for taking so long to write this story! Please forgive me!
Word Count: 2600
(f/p): favorite place
(f/d): favorite dish
(h/c): hair color

An anniversary is a date that is celebrated or recognized once a year, honoring an event that took place in the past. The past can be a few years ago, or many years ago. It doesn't really matter how long ago the event took place. What really matters is why the date is being celebrated for.

When it comes to a couple's anniversary, the date is when the two's romance began. Some couples see anniversaries as a big deal and will go all out to celebrate. Others have a more subtle celebration, but they still care just the same.

Younger couples usually become very excited and happy for the special day to come rolling around. They'll buy all sorts of gifts for their significant other and maybe go out on a date or fancy dinner. It's a pretty good feeling when a loved one shows their affection more than usual. Some would admit that they crave for such a feeling. The feeling of being loved and cared for.

For (Y/n) and Natsu, an anniversary is special. One their first anniversary, Natsu had taken (Y/n) out on a date to (f/p) and gave her a large, soft plushy of a red dragon that she'd been fawning over but never got because of the triple digits on the price tag. She had seen the plush toy in the window of a small store and said it reminded her of Natsu. According to her, dragons are all strong and look very tough from their outside appearance, but soft and cuddly on the inside. That very statement made Natsu purchase the plushy while
(Y/n) was at work. He didn't care about the price, since his only thoughts were to make his girlfriend happy.

This year, for their second anniversary, (Y/n) wants to turn the tables and do something special for Natsu. Since its her day off, (Y/n) took the chance to place a reservation for the following day at his favorite restaurant and order an expensive, digital watch for him since he's always forgetful of the time and date. The (h/c) haired girl is very excited and skips her way to the apartment she shares with her pink haired boyfriend.

Arriving at the door, she opens it with her key and shuffles in. The apartment is empty since Natsu is at work. (Y/n) sets down her belongings onto a nearby table and walks into her and Natsu's shared bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes. She puts away her bag before walking to the kitchen to start making dinner.

As she's preparing (f/d) the loud ringing of the phone echoes throughput the apartment. (Y/n) quickly washes her hands and sprints towards the phone while drying her hands on the side of her pants. Picking up the phone, (Y/n) can hear the sound of her beloved boyfriend's voice talking to whom she assumes to be his boss.

Natsu realizes that (Y/n) already picked up and excuses himself from his superior. He greets her with a monotone voice and proceeds to inform his girlfriend that he'll be coming home late without letting her answer to his greeting. Her disappointed whine doesn't go unnoticed by the male, but he doesn't say anything about it. A quick apology for the sudden change in schedule makes (Y/n) a bit happier and she gently chides Natsu to not overwork himself. He says a few "I know's" with an annoyed attitude before asking (Y/n) to not stay up late to wait for him. He hangs up before (Y/n) can say anything more.

(Y/n) lets out a huff and trudges back to the kitchen with a pout. The dinner she's been making is large enough for three people to consume. Natsu consumes about two times as much food as an average person, so (Y/n) learned to always make more than enough. Now, the food will have to be crammed into the small refrigerator for Natsu to heat up and eat when he returns. Sighing, (Y/n) picks up form where she left off, dreaming about the great day she and Natsu will have tomorrow on their anniversary.