(45) Natsu x Mute!Reader ~ No Words Needed {Modern AU}

A/N: A long forgotten request.
Yes, I understand that the reader's career is not exactly a realistic possibility, but this is a fan fiction, so I will dismiss the logic for the sake of this story.
Word Count: 1151
(L/n): Last name

Ever since she was young. (Y/n) could not speak. Having been born with the vocal impairment, (Y/n) has adapted over the many years of her life, exploring different communication methods every so often. Her parents tried their best to be supportive of everything their old child does, but ultimately, the person who helped the most, providing comfort and support when others were not enough, was Natsu.

The pink-haired, energetic boy lived next door to (Y/n) and found his way into the (L/n) household every single day. In his hands each day, Natsu would carry small items to gift to his best friend and also a notebook used for their conversations. Just like the format of text messages, the two children would write back and forth to each other, occasionally doodling on the empty spaces left over.

From the day they could walk to the day of their high school graduation, Natsu and (Y/n) remained inseparable. Their friendship evolved into a strong, romantic relationship that blossomed during the eighth grade; both of the children's parents had no disputes over the young couple, they deemed the duo as more than mature for their age, thus allowing for the love to grow.

Defending (Y/n) from bullies and ignorant teachers who did not understand that being unable to speak does not give them the obligation to treat her any differently than other students, Natsu made sure to give his girlfriend a wonderful high school experience.

Unfortunately, as most high school relationships do, Natsu and (Y/n) ended up separating. Diverging plans for the future pulled the duo apart, one striving to be a doctor while the other a firefighter; both career paths required long hours and unwavering attention, which led to the decision of separation.

Tears were shed and hugs shared, but the aching in their hearts never died.

To this day, (Y/n) still wears the pendant of a cute, little, blue cat she was gifted back in her kindergarten years. Stressful days of having to accompany her assistant, who explains tragic news to patients or their loved ones in her place, leaves a heavy weight on (Y/n)'s shoulders. Once she returns home from such taxing days, the young doctor grasps the charm resting around her neck and reminisces on the days when she was living happily with her pink-haired lover, the happy memories raising her mood and pushing her to work hard and keep a smile on her face.

Natsu, like (Y/n), has a similar token he holds close to his heart: a scarf. During a particularly cold winter in primary school, the pink-haired man's younger self received a hand-knitted scarf from his then best friend. Rain or shine, Natsu has continuously worn the warm article of wear around his neck and refuses to doff the gift with the exception of laundry day. Even during an emergency that calls for the fire department to extinguish the roaring flames of a wide fire, Natsu finds a way to keep the scarf on underneath his uniform. Wearing the scarf brings him comfort and kindles the spark of hope that one day, no matter when or how, he will reunite with his first and only lover.

---

"Doctor (L/n)! We have an ambulance onroute to the hospital! A firefighter battling the brush fire over by Lamia Haigh got hit by a falling beam," a nurse shouts, her lungs fighting to bring in oxygen to her body as she runs over to the room the woman in question is in. "Doctor, you need to hurry!"

(Y/n) quickly wraps up the procedure and leaves silently instructs for a nearby intern to explain the caring instructions to the patient. She rushes towards the emergency room, arriving just in time to meet the pair of EMTs as they unload a gurney from the ambulance. Her assistant summarizes the situation, translating (Y/n)'s sign language to the congregating nurses as they wheel the patient down the halls.

Taking a look at the patient's face, (Y/n)'s breath hitches. A familiar mop of pink hair nearly brings the doctor to tears. Though the chances of the man being her former lover are low, she truly believes that her eyes are not playing tricks.

(Y/n) mouths out Natsu's name, confusing her assistant, who has been staring at the doctor, awaiting for her orders. 'No, I need a clear mind for this,' she scolds herself with the shake of her head to dismiss the assistant's confusion. 'This man, no matter who he is, does not need a distracted doctor. He needs a focused one.'

Relayed orders echo throughout the operating theater, taming the madness of scurrying nurses grabbing the proper equipment needed. Several veteran nurses remain at (Y/n)'s side, performing the necessary procedures alongside the doctor and calling out instructions when (Y/n)'s hands are too occupied.

Two hours later, nurses wheel the mysterious man with pink hair into an empty room and leave (Y/n) to execute any final procedures. Despite there being nothing left to do, (Y/n) lingers in the room. Looking at the watch around her wrist, the doctor decides to clock out and spend the remaining hours of her day sitting at the bedside of the pink-haired man. Subconsciously, (Y/n)'s fingers weave themselves into the soft tufts of pink hair, combing through the strands meticulously and ridding them of any knots or specks of dirt and ash.

"Wha- Where am I," groans the man, who coughs several times.

Familiar with this reaction, (Y/n) hands over a cup of water, assisting the man in taking a small sip of the cool liquid. Upon looking up after setting the paper cup on a nearby tray, the doctor finds a pair of gleaming onyx eyes watching her.

"(Y/n)? Is that you?"

(Y/n)'s mouth hangs open in shock. Her assumption has just been prove. This man residing in the hospital bed before her is indeed her Natsu Dragneel. All she can do is grasp Natsu's uninjured arm and guide his hand to the plastic name tag clipped on her shirt beneath the white lab coat.

"It is you!"

Strong arms thrust forward and wrap around (Y/n), squeezing her tightly. A hushed gasp escapes the doctor as Natsu continues to embrace her, his face nuzzling into the crook of her neck to press soft, chaste kisses along the surface of the skin. The soothing aura emanating from the warmth of each other's skin settles their racing hearts; they are united at last.