(40) Freed x Wife!Reader ~ Worry

Word count: 1513

Pacing the floor with her finger tips against her lips, nails chipping away at the onslaught from her teeth, (Y/n) desperately tries to reign in her anxiety. All she can think about is the job request her husband, Freed Justine, undertook two weeks ago with the Thunder Legion; their return is long overdue. The request paper stated clearly in black ink: "maximum of 5 days to complete."

"You should go home, (Y/n). Get some rest and eat something," Mira says softly, resting a comforting hand on her friend's shoulder. She is beyond worried. Ever since the five day mark passed, (Y/n) has neglected her personal health and hygiene, spending all her time waiting for Freed to return. Dark circles and bags have collected under the young mage's eyes, greatly contrasting the pale complexion of her skin.

"No. I need to be here when he comes back. He's gonna be back soon... I know it." (Y/n)'s monotone, empty voice greatly concerns Mira even more than she was before. She has been repeating the same sentences over and over again, standing before the doors, waiting for her green-haired husband.

Without another word, Mira slips out of the room and sprints over to Makarov's office, worry etched across the entirety of her face. The large oak door that separates the you mage from the guild master is flung open without so much as a word, startling the man at his desk. 

"Mirajane! What is the meaning of this unmannerly behavior," Makarov bellows. Papers and writing utensils from the desk fly to the ground from the forceful motion of the man's hands, which slam onto the polished surface of the piece of mahogany furniture.

"It's (Y/n), Master. I'm afraid she is far too consumed by the anguish in her heart. With no signs of Freed's return, I fear for the worse."

"I see..."

The two mages stand in silence, guilt striking at their own hearts. Makarov fights to produce an idea as to how he and Mira can pull their fellow guild member out of the endless pit of despair she is infinitely falling into. Several concepts pop into his mind immediately, but as soon as they appear, they are shut down when the guild master thinks over the solidity of the plan, meeting a dead end at each turn.

Mira fidgets in her spot at the doorway, conflicted with herself. A small voice in her mind urges her to run back out to check on (Y/n), to ensure the young woman has not made any brash decisions during the short period of her friend's absence, but with the guild master brainstorming with such a sullen expression, she is unsure if she should keep him company. Right as she is about to come to a conclusion, Makarov speaks up, answering the silent question for her.

"Go check on (Y/n), Mira. Bring her over to me. I shall have a discussion with her."

Bowing her head in respect, the white-haired mage exits the office and darts down the staircase, eyes scanning the guild hall for her friend. The sight of (Y/n) slumped against the wall sounds off the alarms in her mind, but the Thunder Legion stumbling through the door with an unmoving rune mage draped over Laxus' back has Mira's heart and mind soaring through the roof.

"Oh my- What happened?!"

Mira is quick to aid the lighting dragon slayer in carrying Freed to the infirmary, the rest of the team trudging behind them. As Laxus goes into detail, Evergreen, who is in better shape than her teammates, does goes back downstairs to retrieve (Y/n).

"We were ambushed on the way back. We were dead tired and just wanted to go home, so the attack really did a number on most of us. Bickslow," Laxus explains, pointing to the man in question, "most likely has a concussion. Evergreen has some bruises, but they aren't bad. You'll need to patch up some cuts on my arms and back, but Freed took the most hits out of everyone. He saved our lives."