(46) Laxus x Lady!Reader ~ Happily Ever After {Monarchy AU} [Pt. 2]

Word Count: 1713
Sorry for ending the story so abruptly. I ended up running out of time and didn't want to wait until I come back to finish it. This will be my last post for awhile, so until next time, my readers!

The king sits before the royal council with a stoic expression, his monotonous voice projecting across the throne room, voicing his opinions on political topics as they are brought up. He watches his advisors read off their stacks of parchment paper, listening to the questions directed at himself with waning interest.

"Sire, what do you have to say in regards to the prince's marital status?" An elderly advisor looks up warily at the powerful ruler.

Such a topic has been avoided ever since the question of courtship arose on the prince's sixteenth birthday. Now, at the age of nineteen, unrest amongst the royal council bubbles to the surface; many of the elders demand for a princess to be chosen this year. One by one, the other men chime in, protesting against the prolonged marital status of the young heir to the throne.

"Patience, gentlemen," the king announces calmly with a smirk. "Good things come to those who wait."

---

Laxus listlessly lounges on the silk sheets draped over his bed. Dark eyes dart up and down, following the golden diadem being tossed around carelessly. The chamberstick set at his bedside drawer illuminates the room with a soft, dim glow as the sun slowly sets, the silk drapery allowing little to no sunlight to enter, casting a gloomy mood over its occupant.

The blond's thoughts wander, thinking back a few hours ago when he stumbled across the young woman in the stables. So many questions form in his mind; queries about her health, safety, and overall well-being flutter around. Ever since the encounter two weeks ago, Laxus can not help but worry for her. The duke's daughter constantly resides in his thoughts. Witnessing the terror on her face when he discovered her hiding spot, and learning of her reason for being on the run, leaves Laxus uneasy. There are so many factors that can lead to her capture.

"I wonder how she is," Laxus mutters.

"Your Highness?"

A gentle knock brings Laxus out of his reverie. The large wooden door swings open to reveal one of the servants assigned to the blond himself. With the wave of his hand, the servant steps into the room, shutting the door behind her as she approaches the bed.

"His Majesty, the king, summons you to his chamber."

"Tell him I will be there shortly."

"I-... Uh," stutters the servant, "I was told to escort you to His Majesty's chamber and only leave after you enter."

Groaning as he sits up, Laxus sighs deeply; dread sets in. He has a good idea of what will be asked of him. All the conversations during the past few weeks have encompassed one particular subject, and Laxus has been sneaking off to avoid as much confrontation as possible.

"Very well. Lead the way."

Bowing politely to the blond, the servant holds the door open as he strolls out to the empty hall, waiting patiently for her to do as she was told. Passing servants bow their head in respect as the two make their way to the king's private quarters. Just like she had before, the servant raps her knuckles against the wooden barrier, opening the door for Laxus upon hearing the king's invitation to step inside. Once he enters the room, the door is shut behind him, leaving Laxus alone with the king.

"Laxus," the king bellows. He turns to face the young man and offers a goblet of wine.

"I know why you called for me. Bribing me won't do you any good," Laxus scoffs.