(38) Teen!Erik x Deaf!Teen!Reader ~ Hearing Her {Modern AU}

A/N: This is an OLD requested plot that Kittykat5900 had for me. ('*) Sorry!
High School AU, but still in the FT universe.
And, for those of you who might not know, JSL is Japanese Sign Language. I felt that JSL would be more fitting for this fandom rather than ASL, considering it's characters are Japanese animated ones.
Word Count: 1835
*Italicized words in the '...' are thoughts (and later on, signed words)*

The shrill scream of Magnolia University's bell alerts the staff and students that class is to be in session. Students rush into their seats, pushing past each other in a frenzy to scramble across the room. As soon as the door opens, all the present students are seated and ready for the incoming lecture. Entering several minutes later, Professor Gildarts Clive saunters into the room with his laptop bag slung over his shoulder and large coat hanging on his shoulders. While instructing his students to pull out their notebooks and writing utensils, the instructor unpacks his own materials and sets up the projector. After five minutes, he starts the lecture, not stopping to check the progress of his pupils.

Slide, after slide, after slide is shown as the man presents the given information, going into depth about the subject quickly, his loud voice projecting throughout the auditorium. When he pauses to transition over to a subtopic, the door opens slowly with a loud groan. The head of the school's secretaries pops through the small opening and sheepishly smiles, quickly apologizing for the interruption. Gildarts waves off the apology and welcomes her into the room.

The short, plump, middle-aged woman waddles in, her heeled shoes creating loud clicks against the concrete floor. Behind the secretary, a younger woman follows suit, her footsteps almost deadly silent. Once beside the tall professor, the secretary tries to stand on the tips of her toes to whisper in his ear. Giggles resonate in the room, the less mature students finding the sight of the short woman struggling to match their teacher's height incredibly funny. Speaking in a hushed voice, Gildarts listens to the woman's message with animated expressions on his face; his facial expressions morphing from confused, surprised, and then an expression that none of the students can discern. The man nods and wraps an arm around the young girl next to the secretary, his head nodding with a smile tugging at his lips.

"Okay, class," the professor announces," we have a special transfer student who will be joining the class from this day forward. I know this needn't be said, but treat her nicely. You guys are all adults, so please act like one."

Stepping up to a desk on the side of the lecturing podium, the girl bows slightly, but says nothing, leaving the class confused.

"Hey, kid! What's yo' name?!" shouts a random student.

"Yeah," chimes in another.

The man clasps a hand on the silent woman's shoulder. Retrieving a dry erase marker from his bag, Gildarts writes '(Y/n)' name across the top of the whiteboard in a vibrant hue of orange before gesturing for her to find a place to sit.

Soft footfalls are unheard by all the room's occupants as (Y/n) walks up the stairs to search from an empty seat. In the sea of students and backpacks, she finds a spot next to a young man with dark, spiky, maroon hair. He is leaned back in his seat with his eyes shut, his chest rising and falling steadily, telling (Y/n) that he had fallen asleep during the beginning of the lecture. She finds herself staring a bit longer, her curious eyes landing on the scar that runs over his right eye. Figuring he would not be awake for the rest of the lesson, the young woman sits next to the man and pulls out a notebook, scribbling down the necessary information on the slides. Though she is not going to be able to get all the information, since such detailed information is always given verbally in order to save space and minimize the presentation's size, (Y/n) makes a mental note to ask for the page numbers of the lesson.