(Summer) Chapter 17

Original Published Date: July 2, 2016

Edited Date: December 21, 2017

June 16, 2016 - After School

"Damn it, Suzuhana, pull yourself together," Gil grits his teeth as he supports the brown-headed woman's heavy body.

Hinako's legs were giving out, making her shake uneasily. She lifted her hand and held the sleeve of Gil's uniform. "I-I'm all right. This is nothing."

"Idiot, this is no time for playing strong!" Gil yells. He, then, slowly wraps his arms around Hinako and slowly helped her down to the floor again. "What have you been doing all this time?"

"I'm...sorry. I thought that I can...work and study at the same time," Hinako closes her eyes, her breathing was uneasy. "I have to work...to sustain myself. I have to study...to keep my scholarship."

"But you're way pushing yourself over the limit. You're an idiot, you know?" Gil said in an irritated tone but still, he was worried for his underclassman.

"I know," she tries to smile. "You've called me an 'idiot'...a lot of times now, senpai."

Gil releases a long sigh. "Let me get you home. You are in no condition of walking on your own."

"I'm sorry...for the trouble."

The sky was painted like a canvas. The colors of red, orange, pink, and purple swirled and danced around, mixing with one another. It created a calming atmosphere for people who were enjoying the setting sun.

Hinako was starting to breath properly as she sleeps soundly while being carried by Gil on his back. He carried both of their bags on one shoulder like it was no sweat. For Gil, doing this the second time, carrying a girl on his back, was too surprising but he had no choice. He can't let Hinako walk alone due to her condition. She was tired; ultimately fatigued. Somehow, it reminded him of how he was after his father left them and how he started to shoulder everything on his own.

2011

One day after Gil's father left them for another woman, the household became empty. The happy moments that were spent together in that house were forever gone. No one would smile nor laugh ever again.

Dio, who was still in elementary school, kept on weeping as he sat on his bed. The bed where he and his father used to play and when night would come, he'd tell him a bedtime story.

"You're still crying, Dio?" Gil approached his sobbing little brother, sitting beside him on the bed and placing a hand over his shoulder.

"D-Daddy... I want daddy...!" Dio kept on weeping.

Gil flinched at the mentioning of his father. Slowly, his other hand, his fingers, started to curl into a fist and it was turning white. "He's not our father anymore, Dio."

"I still want my daddy!"

"Dio..." Gil grits his teeth in anger and in sadness. He thought to himself, how can he leave them just like that for another woman? Were they not enough? What could he have possibly seen in that woman? For Gil, his mother was enough. She was kind and gentle; she was everything a son would want in a mother.