(Winter) Chapter 40

Original Published Date: 2017

Edited Date: April 21, 2018

January 10, 2017 - After School

It was the second day of a new semester and as usual, since it is a Tuesday, the Kendo club did their routine workout among members. After achieving a gold medal for the "Master" category and a bronze medal for the "Female novice" category, Teacher Kyuru decided that the training regimen for the club members should be taken to the next level. Their goal for the next school year is to win the Regional title.

"Haaah!"

Hinako swings her shinai down towards her opponent, who is also a first-year female student. The latter shields herself from the brown-headed girl's attack and struggles to keep her strength at bay.

"Guh!"

The first-year was able to push back Hinako and charged towards her the moment she was able to see an opening. But, just as her shinai was about to hit Hinako's torso, Hinako regains her balance, held her shinai with both of her hands tightly, and deflected the opponent's shinai away with one powerful sweep. The latter's shinai twirled in the air before making a tack sound onto the wooden floor.

"That concludes this round's match," Koujiro declares. "The winner is Suzuhana Hinako."

The other members, along with Gil and Asuto, clapped their hands after seeing a good battle between new members.

"I guess I lost, huh?" The first-year took off her protective helmet and wipes off the sweat from her forehead. "That was an intense battle, Hinako-chan."

Hinako, on the other hand, also removes her helmet and smiles. "Yeah, it was. You managed to beat me on the second round. You have improved."

"Thanks. Well, I have you to thank for."

"Eh?" Hinako blinks rapidly at the statement.

"You battle well even though the two of us are new members and you got to compete at the prefectures. I guess you could say that I look up to you, Hinako-chan."

Hinako blushes, feeling fluffy inside for being complimented like that but she smiles in the end. She felt really good for having a good battle with one of her teammates.

"All right, next in battle is Douji Gil versus Juniyushi Asuto," Koujiro declares but he eyes at the roster carefully. "Again?"

Asuto walks up to his purple-headed friend and pats his shoulder once, winking. "We have a score to settle, Koujiro."

"A score to settle?"

"Yep!" All of a sudden, Asuto takes out a notebook under his long sleeves and shows Koujiro a page full of lines and crosses. "Gil and I are tied with a score of three hundred and five! I need this win so that I can get the upper hand!"

"Eh, for real?! You two have been battling for, like, more than six hundred times now?!" Koujiro was really surprised.

Asuto backs up and grinned. "Yes, that's exactly it and this time, we're betting on something!"