(Autumn) Chapter 27

Original Published Date: August 2016

Edited Date: February 3, 2018

September 12, 2016 - Dawn

The sun was yet to rise.

Most of the students of Homurahara Gakuen are either asleep or preparing for school. But, for the member of the kendo team, they were wide awake and all prepared for the prefecture kendo competition. All of them were wearing white jackets with the school's name and logo printed on it with matching white jogging pants. It was the color code for Homurahara Gakuen.

"Good morning, Sasaki-senpai," Hinako greets the purple-haired vice captain with a smile yet a visible hint of drowsiness in her eyes. She has her hair tied up into a bun.

"Ah, good morning to you, too, Suzuhana-san," he greets back, also drowsy after waking up early.

"You look sleepy, senpai. Did you not sleep well?" Hinako raises an eyebrow, a little worried.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," he stifles a small laugh. "I had two cups of coffee, so it should kick in by now."

Hinako smiles a little. "You should take a nap while we're on our journey to the stadium at Kumamkoto, senpai. It will be a slightly long road ahead of us."

"I will, Suzuhana-san. You should take a rest, too," Koujiro grins. "I can see small, black circles under your eyes."

"What?" Hinako immediately covers her face with her hands, embarrassed that her senior pointed out the obvious. "I'm aware, senpai! N-No need to point it out."

He laughs, placing a hand over his stomach. "Sorry, Suzuhana-san but seriously, go take a rest inside the bus. We'll be leaving in thirty minutes."

"All right, senpai. You should, too," Hinako holds the strap of her shoulder bag filled with essentials like extra clothes, toiletries, and her kendo uniform.

"I'll just wait here for the others. Asuto isn't here yet, you know."

Hinako looks around, unable to see the pink-headed upperclassman. "Oh, you're right. Juniyushi-senpai isn't here yet. Then," Hinako takes a step back. "I'll be resting, senpai."

"Have a good rest," Koujiro gives her a warm smile.

"Thank you, senpai."

Hinako boards the bus that was parked on the side. As she ascends the small flight of steps, she saw that there were only a few members inside. Three of them were sleeping while two of them were using their phones. Hinako, then, walks down the little aisle of the bus in search for a vacant seat. Well, the kendo team only consists of fifteen members and the bus can seat fifty-four people. It was just that Hinako wants to isolate herself a bit during the long journey.

There was a vacant seat at the back where there were two rows vacant in the back and four rows in the front. She thought that it was a perfect spot for her to rest. Hinako places her big, shoulder bag on the top shelf of the bus and takes a seat beside the window.

"Phew..." She exhales as she leans her head on the glass window. "I'm so tired," she mutters to herself.

For five minutes, Hinako has her eyes shut but not until she heard the sound of shuffling and something heavy being dropped on something soft. She slowly opens her eyes and looks to her left, her blurry vision clearing.

"...Douji-senpai?" Hinako softly said, rubbing her eyes.

He turns around and looks at her. "Suzuhana."