(Winter) Chapter 37

Original Published Date: 2016

Edited Date: February 17, 2018

December 23, 2016 - Dawn

< This train is bound to Tokyo. All passengers, please be mindful of your belongings before boarding the train. >

It was around five in the morning. The winter season has come and many schools have closed for the winter vacation, especially for Christmas and New Year. At a certain train station in Kumamoto, many people boarded trains bound to different destinations.

"I finally found myself a good seat," she says, settling her bag on a vacant seat.

Hinako took her seat on a chair that was beside the window. In her hand was a white envelope and a piece of paper. At the end of the sheet, a signature was placed. She held the letter tightly and her heart races, nervous.

December 23, 2016 - Morning

"I will be staying in the US for a week. I hope that I'll be able to return before New Year," Ibaraki said, placing her luggage in the trunk of the car. She, then, faces her two sons. "Gil, Dio, you two are in-charge of the house. I forbid you to host parties but I am allowing you two to invite guests over."

"Yes, mother. We'll be in our best behavior," Gil replies, respectful in every way.

"I hope you have a safe trip to the States," Dio adds.

"I will."

Ibaraki faces her children, the serious expression completely turns into sadness. It has always been this way during Christmas, that she would be busy with different meetings in different parts of the world. 

It has been that way ever since Kintoki left them for Yoriko. 

Ibaraki drowned herself in work in order to forget the pain she felt to the point that she neglected her children. She never wanted for this to happen but the aftermath of depression comes in many ways and this was one of them.

"I love you, Gil," Ibaraki said, placing a small kiss on her eldest son's cheek. She, then, turns to Dio and places a kiss on his cheek, too. "I love you, Dio."

Dio suddenly felt a painful nudge in his heart after his mother kisses his cheek. He can feel the sadness his mother is feeling even though she puts up a strong facade, never showing her weak side. Just like Gil, Ibaraki has been putting up a big facade - so big that it was hard to decipher his mother's feelings again.

"Be on your best behavior. Merry Christmas, my children."

Without another word, Ibaraki boards the car and off she went to the airport with her driver. Gil and Dio stares at the car before it disappeared to a corner.

"Merry Christmas," Gil mutters to himself, unheard by his little brother. "mother."

"So," Dio starts as he and Gil went inside the house. "what do you want to do for Christmas, big brother?"

Gil closes the front door behind him. "I don't know. Usually, we just stay in this house."