(Summer) Chapter 23

Original Published Date: August 2016

Edited Date: January 25, 2018

August 8, 2016 - Early Morning

"Good morning, Marie-san, you're quite early for school today," Hinako greets the pink-headed friend with a smile on her lips.

The pink-headed friend looks at Hinako from her desk and smiles back. "Good morning to you, too, Suzu-chan! I just felt like coming to school early today."

"Is that so?" Hinako takes a sit on her chair and takes out her Japanese Literature book from her bag. "Nothing to do much at home?" She grins.

"E-Eh? How did you know?" Marie blushes in embarrassment.

"I can see it in your face," Hinako lets out a small chuckle. "Though, today until Saturday is summer school, so you actually have something to do."

"Uwaah! Suzu-chan is teasing me!" Marie cries chibi tears as she places her head over her desk.

"Calm down, calm down," she continues to chuckle.

The south door to the classroom opens and came in Fūrin. As usual, he was holding his bag over his shoulders and walked towards Hinako and Marie.

"Good morning, Hinacchi and Maricchi," Fūrin greets with a wide grin on his face.

"Good morning, Fūrin-kun. You're quite happy today," Hinako greets back.

"Ah, yeah. I wanted to show this to you guys," Fūrin rummages into his pants pocket and took out a neatly folded paper. He handed it over to Hinako and she unfolds it. "The Ryuudou Temple is having the Tanabata Festival this Saturday."

"The Tanabata Festival?" Hinako eyes at the decorative poster that was in her hands.

Marie sat up and peeked over at the poster, as if she wasn't crying chibi tears earlier. "Isn't it a little late to hold the Tanabata Festival? It's usually held in July."

"Well, Fuyuki City holds it every August at the Ryuudou Temple," Fūrin explains. "Why don't we all go together after classes?"

"That sounds like a good plan, Fūrin-san," Hinako smiles in agreement.

"Yeah! I want to wear a yukata to the festival!" Marie exclaims, blushing in happiness and excitement in wearing a yukata. "Let's go together in a yukata, Suzu-chan!"

Hinako froze in her seat at the mentioning of wearing a yukata at the Tanabata Festival. Marie and Fūrin eyes at her carefully.

"Is there something wrong, Hinacchi?" Fūrin asks, raising an eyebrow.

"You are going to wear a yukata with me, right?" Marie asks.

"Well, actually... I, uh, don't normally wear yukatas during festivals. I wear casual clothes," Hinako explains, regrettably but it was the truth.

"What? Why? Yukatas are, like, meant to be worn during festivals. Especially for young girls like us," Marie said with emotion, emphasizing her point as she wore a pink yukata out of nowhere. Hinako and Fūrin's eyes blink rapidly while looking at Marie. "Yukatas are beautiful, a sight to behold during festivals! It shows the grace and beauty of every woman who wears it. And, love!"

"Uh, love?" Hinako and Fūrin asks in unison.

"I once wore a yukata and I wanted to show it to my middle school crush!" Marie starts to tell her tale of a one-sided love, all in monochrome cinematic form. "On a day such as the Tanabata Festival, I wore a beautiful black yukata adorned with bright flower patterns. I had my hair tied up and wore a little bit of make-up. I did all of it just so I could impress my crush and when I finally did, he said..."