(Winter) Chapter 39

Original Published Date: 2017

Edited Date: February 20, 2018

January 2, 2017 - Morning

It is now six in the morning. The weather was cold and the streets are filled with snow. Last night, there was a slightly heavy fall of white which made the today's weather extremely chilly and now, the sun is slowly rising.

"Thank you for writing to me and having me over the Christmas," Hinako said, bowing to her grandparents, her bag on her back. "I... I missed the feeling of 'family' when I was with you two."

"Oh, Hinako-chan," her grandmother steps in and gives her granddaughter a hug. "Won't you just stay here? That way, you will never be alone there. It will be like old times."

Hinako can feel the sincerity in her grandmother's heart and words. She knows to herself that she wants to stay, to be with the only family that she can count on. But, on the other hand, she also has a family back at Fuyuki city. Having moved there changed her and for once, she opened up to people since the tragedy befell on her when she was just in middle school.

Hinako embraces her grandmother back. "I'll be all right. Please, trust me on this."

Her grandmother pulls away. "I'm sorry if we're not good grandparents to you, Hinako-chan. We're sorry if you're leading a life like this."

"No, please," Hinako was on the verge of tears. "You two are all that I have in the family now and I thank you for loving me."

The two hugged again, this time it was tighter. Both of them were grateful for having one another, especially Hinako. After all those months not visiting, it finally hit her on how much she still loves her grandparents on her father's side.

Gil and Dio were happy for Hinako, seeing the two make up and reunite for lost time. At first, Gil was afraid that Hinako might think of staying in Karakura and move back here to continue her studies, where her only family resides. Now, he felt a sense of relief, knowing that she will go home with them. For Gil, he will do everything in his power to take care of her - the person whom he loves.

"May I talk to you for a while, Douji-san?" asks Hinako's grandfather.

"Oh, sure," Gil replies.

"This way, if you would," the old man says as he starts to walk, letting the young fellow follow behind.

Gil and Hinako's grandfather walk a little bit towards the backyard of the house. There resides a small yet old storage house, apart from the main house. Hinako's grandfather slowly opens the door and rummages through a few boxes.

"Are you looking for something? I can look in your stead since it's dusty in here," Gil offers his help.

"I'm all right, young lad. These days, I have to move every joint in my body," he chuckles.

Gil chuckles, too, under his breath, seeing how Hinako's grandfather was trying his best to find whatever it is he's looking for.