Ch. 2

After a couple of hours, the annoying tone of my phone interrupts our movie.

"Ya vente!" I hear my mother yell after I press accept. Not even a hello.

"Okay, I'll be right there." I say before hanging up.

"You're leaving already? It's only 8:44." Jess sits up to pause the movie.

"Yeah, See you tomorrow, I'll give you your shorts then." I pick up my pants and start to head towards her door.

"Oh I'm not going to school tomorrow." Jess tells me last minute.

"What? Why?" I stop halfway out her bedroom door.

"My brother is coming back from Canada, but I'm sure my dad can pick you up after school."

"No it's okay, I don't want it to be weird." I deny her offer even though I really don't want to walk home.

"He already agreed, it won't be weird. He's known you forever! But I do want my spandex back, see you mañana loser." She lays back down and I laugh, closing the door on my way out.

I take my time going down her stairs, making an unnecessary rhythm with each step I take. Completely forgetting about the meeting taking place downstairs.

My face drains any color it had when I reach the first floor. A whole room of expensive looking men eyeing me when I walk past. I cringe inwardly knowing I disturbed something that was probably important. Why do I do the things I do? Well, I guess I should say goodbye, it'd be rude not to after I ate all their food. A ton of papers laid out on the coffee table, I'm too far to tell what they are. It's none of my business anyways.
I head toward the meeting with a small awkward smile, bending down to grab my backpack.

"Goodbye Mr. Bieber."

I say politely as I reach the front door, seeing him nod back with a cigar in his mouth, his smirk being the last thing I see before I leave. I wish I was that cigar.

I quickly close the door behind me and run up the alley way towards my house.
No hug? Just a nod? This meeting must've been really important.

Oh god, did I ruin his meeting? My ride home tomorrow is going to be so awkward. Maybe I'll just walk instead. But pass up an opportunity to be alone with Mr. Bieber? I think not!

Besides, I'm too lazy. I can suffer through a couple of minutes of awkward conversation. But what if I ruined his meeting and he doesn't even show up tomorrow? I hope I didn't interrupt anything important because I'd rather burn than walk home.

When I reach my apartment door, I see my mom removing her makeup at the table, waiting for my arrival. I lock the door behind me and wait for my mom to interrogate me about who's shorts I'm wearing.

"Lávate los dientes y te duermes." My mom says instead and doesn't comment on my attire. I agree quickly to avoid the whole conversation about borrowing people's clothes, and how "potentially dangerous" that could be.

I walk into my room and set all my stuff down, climbing strait into bed before I knock out.
____________

When I get to school the following morning, the whole day is a drag. Only the occasional text from Jess keeping me from lashing out on anybody.

But after the last bell rings, I almost skip with excitement! I don't even bother putting on my regular clothes after soccer.
Pants are for suckers.

I make my way upstairs and look around for Mr. Bieber's black car but it's nowhere to be seen. So I wait a little, not having enough guts to call him. About 10 minutes pass by and I give up hope.
I guess I'm walking home.