Ch. 15

sam reacting to jess's compliment^
_____

"So, are you ready to graduate Jess?" I ask Jess over the phone, realizing how scared I actually am to start my future. I sink into my bed after grabbing a water bottle, leaving my phone on speaker despite my parents who could come home any second. It's not that we talk about anything bad, but Jess always seems to say something wrong at the wrong time.

"Oh hell yeah, I can't wait to wake up at 2 P.M. and not have too much responsibilities." She tells me as I hear a bag of chips opening up.

"Must be nice to be rich. After I graduate, I need to find a good paying job to pay for my college. Which is going to be a nightmare because you need experience to apply for almost every job. But how am I going to get experience if nobody will freakin hire me?" I open up my bottle after explaining my frustrations, hearing the front door's nob rattling.

I grab my earphones from across the room, plugging them into my phone before telling Jess to pause for a minute. I open up the door for my mother, I ask her how her day was, and she does the same. I tell her great and that tomorrow is my final day, just so she doesn't forget. She nods telling me that we might just go to a cheep dinner, to save money for my 18th birthday. I agree, excited for both events.

I walk back into my room, inserting both earphones into my ears.
"Okay Jess I'm back. What were we talking about?" I lay into fetal position, scrolling through Instagram while I begin to chat with Jess once more.

"We were talking about how you need a job, but I think I can help. My dad would definitely hire you! I could go ask him if you want." Jess offers and I perk up at the mention of her dad. Is that a good idea? Or is it just me being clingy?

"That sounds great Jess but I don't want to bother him about work stuff." I politely decline. Plus, we wont get much work done if we're in the same room for too long.

"Nonsense! He's looking for a new receptionist and I know you know how to answer phones. Are you sure you don't want me to bring it up?" She pauses to munch on her chips over the phone. Well.. I do need the money...

"No, don't bring it up today. I don't want to sound needy." I reject her offer again despite possibly needing that job.

"Okay, I'll just bring it up tomorrow after we graduate because I know you need that job. And I'm such a good friend, I'll make sure my dad will hire you. Okay?" She states forthright, just like her dad. I laugh a little. "Okay Jess, see you tomorrow? We're still carpooling right?" I say a little nervous.

"Of course, I can't wait! See you tomorrow Karkar. Love you!" She yells through the phone. Still, no inside voice.

"Love you too Jess Jess." I hang up, scrolling mindlessly with all the thoughts running through my head.

I really hope this next following week starts off good. And I actually can't wait till tomorrow! I'm just so nervous. What if I trip on stage? What if Justin doesn't want me working with him? What if my birthday party is a mess? Eh, I'll get over that one. I can't wait to kiss Justin again! I'm way too excited for that one.

"Karina, ven a comer!" I hear my mom through my earphones calling me out for dinner. I don't hesitate walking out, i'm always ready to eat.

___________

After dinner yesterday, I had small chats about my graduation today and what we wanted to do afterwards. We settled on the Asian buffet, my favorite. My parents told me to invite Jess and her family but i'm sure they have bigger plans.

I shrug off yesterdays dinner convo to start getting ready for my last day of high school. Slipping on my cap and gown when I finish with hair and makeup. Nothing extraordinary because I want to hold off on any glitter looks till my Birthday.