Ch. 17

After each of us got home that night, the rest of the night was a bore.

We all went to our own homes, Aaron walking me home despite my father watching his every move. I thanked him and my parents smiled as he walked away, I think he's growing on them which isn't the best news for me. I think they think he's my man, but if they met the guy I actually messing around with, they'd both have a heart attack simultaneously. But the funny thing is: my mother is 13 years younger than my father. Justin is only 19 years older than me. Like mother like daughter I guess.

I closed the door behind us that night not knowing that the rest of my week would be stressful and annoying.

Every day consistently, my mother would drag me out to some sort of grocery store or party supply store. And every day we would come home with more food and tons of balloons and streamers. We even got burgers to grill for Jess and Justin.

I had to pick a theme and arrange the guest list, making an additional list of the people I didn't want there. It was longer than I thought it'd be.

The only thing keeping me sane through this whole thing was the pictures that Justin would often send through snap chat. And the captions that went along with them. He really wants this week to end, and he's not making it easy to stay away.

As I set down another ladle of maize, I hear the familiar ringtone that I set for him. But I ignore it while i'm grabbing food from the car, arranging it neatly where my mom has told me to do so. Almost half our living space is filled with party supplies. I hope not many people flake, or else all this food will go to waste.

"Es todo?" I ask if everything is inside already, my mother nods.

"Preguntale al Justin si podemos ir a su casa en la tarde para dejar le todo." My dad tells me from the couch, telling me to ask Justin if he's going to be home later so we can set everything up. I nod and head to my room, closing the door swiftly behind me.

When I settle myself under my blanket with the air conditioning on blast, I decide to pull out my ear phones and stick them into my phone.

I look through my notifications, answering to all of Jess's before I reply to any body else. I look through my twitter DM's ignoring every dude's message except for Aaron's who sends me the occasional meme.
When I'm done with that, I make sure my door is closed so I can open up Justin's snapchats. I don't need my mother walking into me blushing like an idiot at my phone. She'd ask me why i'm all red and i'd make up some bullshit excuse like "Oh, I was practicing holding my breath". And that's not too convincing.

I lay back down and listen through my paper thin walls to make sure my parents are busy watching t.v.  I just wish I could lock it, but it'd be too suspicious if I did.

I cover myself up, opening up his first snap.

I smile at his words knowing he can't see the expressions he puts on my face. I take a second to calm myself down before I open the next one.

He's wearing black like usual but this time not in a suit. Which is basically naked to me. The caption reads I miss you, and I couldn't be more excited to see him later. If he's even there, I still have to ask. Before I send back a picture, I sit up and pull my shirt down a little, just enough to drive him crazy. I pull the same face he has on, captioning it 'miss you too☹️'.