Ch. 34

Sorry for the slow updates, college and depression got my life messed up. -c
______

Setting up for a housewarming party is more stressful than I thought it was going to be. I completely forgot I had to feed my guest and find some sort of entertainment for afterward, but more importantly, find a way to kick them out in time for me to watch my 3 hours of YouTube like usual. Maybe I'll just kick people out the way my mom does it. She wraps up a plate of leftovers for the stragglers so they get the hint and get going. But I don't know how to cook, I don't even have plates, I have three white bowls. And I definitely invited more than 3 people. Should I Uber to the grocery store right now? It's only 10 pm. I bet Walmart is open. But what if they don't like what I cook? Is anybody allergic to rice? How will I even get my groceries home? These are the thoughts that are keeping me up. The only thing giving me peace of mind is the fact that my dinner table is very big, definitely big enough to sit everybody down for a meal. I could probably get all my stuff tomorrow if I wake up early, but lord knows I will not wake up early on the weekend.

I sit up out of my bed and reach over for my phone, texting Jess if she wants to go on a Walmart trip. She declines saying it's bad for her image, but she offers her car for me to take. Although I have my license, I hate driving. Instead, I ask if she's down for a Target trip, she replies yes and says she'll be out in 5. I'm pretty sure they sell groceries. I sigh in relief and start grabbing my reusable bags and slip on my slides to head out the door. I remember to grab my keys and lock my door before I head into the elevator and down onto our shared street. I'm so happy I can do little trips like this without having to ask for permission, I'd be in deep shit just for asking to leave the house at 10.

I watch her gates open up and her call pulls up onto the street, at this time of night there aren't too many cars on streets like this. I hop into her car as soon as it comes to a stop and throw all the bags into the back seat. I look at her outfit to make sure we both look like bums and sit down when I see she's wearing practically the same thing as me.

"Hey bitch." She greets me as she lets go of her brake and starts zooming down the street.

"Sup hoe," I say back, my phone instantly connecting to her speakers, Khalid's song 18 playing kind of loud. I lower it down a little so I can explain the trip.

"Are we going to the Target next to Chick-fil-A or the one in the mall?" She asks a little excited I would say.

"Hmm, let's go to the Chick-fil-A one, I know you're hungry."

"Yay, ok so what's the plan? Why are we going?" She asks as she turns onto the freeway. I lay my head back against the headrest, closing my eyes for a couple of seconds.

"I forgot I had to cook for everyone tomorrow, also I need to buy dinner plates and utensils. I'd order food but my mom wouldn't eat any of it, she hates eating take out." I say as I unlock my phone to make a list of all the shit I need, I don't want to forget anything.

"I'm so excited for tomorrow! Even if you're cooking! I can't wait for our whole squad to be together again!" She smiles widely and bops her head to the music.

"Oh yeah, I can't wait to bully your brother again." I smile thinking about playing footsies with Justin, maybe I'll even ask him to come back a little later.

"No, obviously Jason is coming, but I was talking about Aaron. We haven't hung out since graduation day." She says nonchalantly.

"Yeah, no. He creeps me out now, he's always following me or will 'coincidentally' be at the same place as me. I didn't invite him." I tell Jess, as Russ's "Goodbye" starts playing. I love this song, it's mine and Jess's favorite.