I'm Free

Karen's P.O.V.

A Few Months Later...

I woke up to the smell of burning chocolate, I got out of bed and put on Jimi's shirt and walk out of Jimi's bedroom and into the kitchen. "You burning the place down?"
"No. I am trying to make chocolate chip pancakes and was gonna surprise you to breakfast in bed. But I don't know how to make them. You made them that one time and I wanna know how?" I laugh and move next to him.
"For starters. Your stove is on high. It's suppose to be on medium. When you put the batter in the pan you put too little. And to finish off, you just can't cook." He turns the stove off and wraps his arms around me picking me up and taking me to the couch. I can't help but laugh all the way. He lays me down and gets on top holding my hand together.
"I can cook. I'm just not showing you all potential cause I don't want to embarrass you."
"Won't embarrass me. I've seen a lot of kids that can't cook." I hold in a laugh while trying to keep an adult look, as he smirks.
"That's it Missy." He started to tickle me, I laugh and try to get away to no avail. He continued for a few minutes until I was nearly out of breathe. "What am I..?"
"A kid." He tickles again making me laugh "Okay! An adult! Who can't cook!" I keep laughing and he stops.
"I don't care if I can't cook. But I upgraded from kid to adult in under ten seconds." I look up at him and smile.
"That's a step up for you big boy." He smiles and stays where he's at.
"We not gonna eat today?"
"Actually yes. We are. I wanted to make you breakfast in bed for this special occasion."
"What are you talking about? What's special?"
"Today your divorce is finalized."
"If he doesn't have a case against me."
"He don't."
"You don't know that. I just wanna go to the court house and get this finalized. I wanna be free from him."
"You will be." I give Jimi the best smile I can form. "we can't eat if I don't know how to cook them."
"I'll help you cook them."
"Thank you!"
"Yeah, yeah. Get off me"
"yes ma'am!" He gets off smiling and offers me a hand, I take it and stand.

We eventually finished cooking breakfast and ate it. After that we got dressed in more civilized clothes since we were goin to the court house. I kept having second thoughts. What if Mark finds something to use against me and I'm stuck with him. What if I gotta go back to him. All these thoughts kept running through my mind. Jimi came up behind me wrapping his arms around me. "What you thinking about?"
"What if he finds something to use against me? What if wins the fight? What if I gotta go back to him?"
"Breathe Kiki. You're not goin back to him. He will never touch you again. He won't win because you never did anything to him that would be used to make you stay. He is abusive and a drunk. The court knows that. The judge knows that. They aren't gonna keep you with a man like that. The jury will see he's an awful man and he'll go to prison." I nod and breathe calming down. He kissed my cheek.
"You can't do that. You can't touch me all day. No one can. I'm technically married until those papers are signed by the judge. Even if he signs them I don't want anyone to know about us yet."
"There is an 'us' when he signs the papers?"
"If you ask me out that is. If not then I don't know why we are standing like this. I'd be in the guest bedroom... All alone... With no one that would have helped me pick out my lingerie that'd under these clothes."
"I worked hard to find that lingerie set."
"I know you did. That's why the only way for you to see it again is if you ask me to be your girlfriend once the divorce is finalized." I say with a smirk.
"You're good. But I'm better. Especially tonight when you'll finally be mine." I couldn't help but smile when Jimi said I'll be his.
"Let's go get this over with. I hope this is the last time I'll see Marks face."
"Me too Kiki. I love you "
"I love you too." He pecks my lips and we get to our vehicles. We each take our separate trucks and drives to the court house. Kim and Phillip are already in there waiting for us. I walk in with Jimi following. I walk straight to the front and up by my lawyer. Jimi sits beside Kim and Phillip. The Judge enters and reads our file and reads the police reports and views the photos of my injuries from Mark. He looks up and me and then looks at Mark.
"In all my years of being a judge. This is disturbing."
Marks lawyer stands and holds a file.
"I have information that you should read before you decide to sign the papers." I was shocked. What did he have? The judge got the papers and started reading them. I looked at my lawyer. He was just as shocked as I was. The judge kept reading and looked at Mark.
"You don't recall any of your memories that night... Because you have an illness and she never gave you your medication...? Am I reading this right?" What?! There is no way he's getting away with this. I looked at Mark
"You bastard! You can't lie in court!" The judge grabs his hammer and hits the block
"Settle down! Do you have something to say?"
"Yeah! That's bullshit. He never had an illness and never had medication. The only medication he was probably ever on was drugs to get high. And he remembers that night just fine! I can't believe he would try this! He just wants me so he can continue to do what you see in our file." The judge looks at our file again.
"I'm going to need medical history for him before I can decide." The judge calls in a favour and has the hospital send Marks records over as soon as possible.

We wait for a while and a policeman comes through the door with papers handing them to the judge. He reads them over. "This man has no records of any illnesses. You lied, and got your lawyer to lie on your behalf. You both will be held in contempt for 2 days until the jury decides further action. Karen Fairchild. I here by reinstate that you are no longer married to Mark Childers." He signs the papers and I smile.
"Thank you your honor!"
"My pleaser. Congratulations. You are free to leave." I smile and walk to everyone. They all congratulated me and all I could think about was 'I'm Free'. I don't have to worry about Mark anymore.

We all left the court house and Jimi and I took our vehicles back to his house. We went inside and Jimi stood in the middle of the floor and smiled. I smile back. "You're now free."
"Yes. I'm free." He smiles more and advanced closer.
"Karen Fairchild? Would you do me the honour of becoming my girlfriend?"
"I'd love to be your girlfriend, as long as I can call you my boyfriend."
"That sounds amazing coming from your mouth." We smile and he pulls me in for a hug. I stay in his arms just enjoying his hold. "Let's get some sleep. Its been a long day." I nod and he guides me towards the guest bedroom.
"Where we goin?"
"You're goin in your room."
"My room is over there." I point towards Jimi's bedroom.
"Are you sure..?"
"I've never been more sure. We are a couple now... Aren't we? So we should share everything."
"Okay, I wasn't rushing anything. I just wanted to know you're okay with it." I nod and we go into his bedroom. I start undressing and he remembers the lingerie. He walks over and finishes undressing me until I only have the lingerie on. "You said when we are together I get to see this on you... And we are together... So I wanna be the one to take them off." He smirks and I smile and kiss him.