Getting Better

Karen's P.O.V.

It's been a month since Joyce was born and it was goin as my mother thought it would. Horribly. Joyce Wakes up three times a night, and every time Elijah wakes up too. So after I tuck her in I go to bed with E. and Jimi is fast asleep and helps out when he wakes which isn't much. I get no sleep because the time I get Elijah to sleep Joyce is about ready to wake up again. I am running on nearly zero sleep. I'm so tired I ended up sleeping while driving. I had a small accident but nothing major. The pole I hit ruined our car though. But luckily I wasn't hurt and we got another car. No one was with me which I was grateful for. But Jimi suspended my driving rights.

He and I had an argument about him not doin stuff and me doin everything. So last night I told him to watch what I do every night. He then realized that I get about an hour of sleep or less a night. He then said he'd help but here it is again the next night and he is sleeping away in bed. I even tried to wake him. He said he'd be right there but he fell back asleep. I can't be mad at him but I am. I'm to the point where I am about to break and it will not be a good thing.

Elijah made his way in Joyce's room as I was rocking her to sleep. He stood there and watched her. When she fell asleep I laid her in her crib and turned to E as Jimi was walking in.
"Go to bed babe. I'll put him down."
"You sure?"
"I'm sure. I'm sorry for not helping."
"We'll talk about this at another time.." he nods and takes E to his room and I go to bed and lay down. And I fall asleep quickly.

I wake up the next morning feeling a lot better. I finally got more than 3 hours of sleep. I turn to Jimi who is fast asleep. I don't hear the kids and I use this time to be with my husband. I move closer to Jimi and lay my head on his chest with an arm around him. He feels it and moves so he's holding me. I smile and close my eyes.

I woke up an hour later to Jimi stroking my hair. I lift my head up to look at him and he smiles.
"Morning baby."
"Mornin.."
"How'd ya sleep?"
"Better... thank you for helping last night."
"It shouldn't be a problem... I was the worst father and husband this past while. And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have to be yelled at or told to get up. I should voluntarily get up, after what you went through to bring our miracles here."
"Hey... you're a great father and a wonderful husband. It's just been rough. But we'll get through it. We'll take turns getting up. So it's easier on everyone."
"I love you. More than you know. I also think we need to just take a night to ourselves"
"We can't. The baby is still too young to be watched by some one else."
"Baby She is a month old. We got Rebecca to watch E when he was a week old."
"That was different. We were on tour and he was near me."
"Yeah. And we'll go out and be back the next day, Baby you need to get some rest and relax. So a date night and a night at a hotel with no interruptions is what you need."
"No I need to be here with my babies."
"Baby you fell asleep driving last week. You could have been injured or killed. And I don't want that. Neither does our babies."
"Jimi..."
"No Karen. We both know I'm right. You need to rest. It's not healthy."
"I just need to sit for a bit and I'll be fine."
"No. You're goin out with me and having an entire night to relax."
"Fine... with much hesitation I will go..."
"Thank you. You're not gonna regret this. This will help you and the both of us. We've been distant lately and I don't like it."
"Me either..."
"Good so let's lay here together while it's quiet" I nod and cuddle him and he holds me tightly making me feel safe and at peace.

Two days later and we still did not get to go out and enjoy a night to ourselves because Kim was busy with Daisy, Daisy had the flu. Phillip had to go with Rebecca to see her parents. So me and Jimi stayed in and didn't go out. He has helped with the kids more in the middle of the night. We took turns he would get up with Joyce first because she wasn't usually hungry then, and he would lay Joyce down and go with E. Once Joyce got up the second time I'd get up to feed her. Jimi would usually be back in bed but sometimes he'd still be with E. we stayed like that for a while until E would sleep through Joyce's Cries. He eventually got use to them.

About a month and a half later Jimi would get Joyce one night and I would get her the next and we'd keep changing. But that is kinda a struggle since Jimi has to wake me to feed her. But overall we are both getting sleep and we are both in better place than before. We've had one date night but it didn't go well. Joyce had been cranky all night and Kim was scared something was wrong because she wouldn't stop crying. Joyce stopped once we held her. So we couldn't leave her.

Jimi just got back from dropping E off and Phillips and Rebecca's for a play date with Penelope. Joyce is down for her nap and I am sitting on the couch with the baby monitor on the coffee table with my song book in front of me. Jimi comes and sits beside me.
"What ya writing babe?"
"Just ideas..."
"Anything you like...?"
"One I do... but I ain't sure about it."
"Let's hear it." I clear my throat and sing Jimi the song.

"Magnavox in the living room
CBS and NBC
Closed on 10 in the backyard
Hockey game playing in the street
Deck of cards in the kitchen
Cool breeze from our screen door
Grandma reading love letters Grandpa wrote her in the war

Free
All those memories, free
Didn't cost us anything
All the shiny cars, perfect yards, chasing store bought dreams
We work so hard to have it all, when all the things we want are free

Got your accent from your home town
Sense of humor from your dad
Get your green eyes from your mother
God knows you can't buy that
They'll charge you for a six pack
But your friends are always there
A few extra bucks in the offer plate
Even though you can't buy a prayer

Free
All those memories, free
Didn't cost us anything
All the shiny cars, perfect yards, chasing store bought dreams
We work so hard to have it all, when all the things we want are free

Free
All those memories, free
Didn't cost us anything
All the shiny cars, perfect yards, chasing store bought dreams
We work so hard to have it all, when all the things we want are free

Free
Free"

"Wow baby. That was amazing..."
"I was unsure about it..."
"It was amazing... please bring that to the next band meeting. I wanna cut that, and I'm hoping everyone agrees"
"Thanks babe." He smiles and kisses my cheek and I smile and face him more. He leans in again and kisses me gently and passionately. I kiss back we get really into it and he advances and I grab on his shirt and side, my song book falls onto the floor and I lay back on the couch and Jimi moves above me, never breaking the kiss. We get into it and we end up taking each other's shirt off and he was goin for my pants but the baby started crying. I pull back.
"I gotta get her..."
"Babe..."
"I know... but she's hungry...."
"Okay..." we get up and I put my shirt back on and goes upstairs to get Joyce I bring her back down and sit beside Jimi again and he puts his arm around me and I feed Joyce. I kinda feel bad cause Jimi and I haven't had sex since before Joyce was born.

A few weeks later Everything was getting better, Elijah is finally sleeping through Joyce's Cries. So that helps a lot. Joyce only gets up twice a night like usual but never up for long. I get enough sleep and so does Jimi, we're happy and both Elijah and Joyce are happy.