Start Practicing

Almost a year later...

Kim had her baby a few months ago, little miss Daisy Pearl Schlapman and Becky just had hers two months ago, little miss Penelopi Jane Sweet. I'm so excited to have little babies around. Jimi and I promised to each other that we'll spoil them every chance we get. Most mornings go the same way. I try and let Kim and Becky sleep some during the mornings so I get up and get the babies, some mornings when Jimi wakes from the crying he gets up with me too. Today I woke up at 4, which isn't usually when the babies wake up... but they did. As soon as I heard them I got up brought them to the front, laid them on their blanket on the floor and got down on the floor with them and played with them calming them down, when they were calm enough I changed them and fed them.

I look up at the time and it's 6 in the morning. I look at the babies and smile. They are each holding a finger on my hands. Daisy holding my left pointer finger and Penelopi holding my right pinky finger, because it's smaller for her to hold. Daisy is a few months old and she has a more firm grip. Penelopi is slowly grasping the concept of holding. She can wrap her little fingers around small stuff with a very lose grip. I sit like that for a while just watching the babies look around, Penelopi falls asleep and Daisy would look at me as I'd make faces and she would laugh, kicking her arms and legs happily. I did that for about 20 minutes and Penelopi started walking again. So I made faces at both of them and Penelopi started smiling. I sit there and do that for however long.

I didn't realize that I was being watched by practically everyone. I was too concerned with making faces and watching the babies smile and laugh which would make me smile. It was an endless circle. Everything was happy and I finally smiled and looked at the time and as I looked up I seen everyone watching me.
"Good morning..." They smile and Kim walks over.
"What time did they wake up?"
"They both woke around four, Penelopi just woke from a 20 minute nap but Daisy has been up since. They were both changed and fed." Picks up Daisy for Kim to take and Rebecca walks over.
"Kare why don't you go rest for a while. You were up early." Passes her Penelopi.
"I'm okay. I'm not that tired right now."
Phillip walks over to Becky. "Karen you woke up with the babies everyday since they were born. We see it in you face that you need sleep."
"I'm fine. I promise. I'll sleep some later." Kim nods
"You better. And let the mommies wake up with their babies. We are capable."
"I know. I never meant to make you think you weren't... I just... I love your guys babies and I wanna do as much as I can to help you guys out... These are the only babies that I have in my life... I just thought I could help..." Kim makes a sad face.
"Karen, you will have a ba-"
"Don't. Don't say something that might not happen. I just wanted to help you out. Sorry if I've been doin too much... I'll make sure I leave you guys to do it from now cause your their mothers... you know best..." I am kinda upset and I walk to the bathroom shutting the door and I hear Kim say my name in a apologetic way but I just lean against the closed door and slide down it silently crying.

I hear a knock on the door a few minutes later.
"Go away"
"Baby it's me... please..?" I get up and unlock the door backing away some. He heard the click and opened the door looking at me. He came in and hugged me. I cried into his chest not caring if people heard anymore cause Jimi left the door opened. I just gave up. I couldn't hold back when he had me in his arms. His arms made me feel safe and I can finally let go when I'm in them. I feel like I don't have to be strong when I'm in his arms.  I cried for a while until I calmed down. He guided me to my bunk and I laid down and he climbed in beside me. I move on my side and tangle our legs together and lay half on him. He never once let me go. I feel asleep shortly after.

I was awakened by a strange noise and so was Jimi. It didn't sound normal. The bus wasn't moving either. We looks at each other and got up. We walked to the front and everyone was gathered on the couch holding each other.
"What's goin on?" Phillip looked at us
"Tornado!" Jimi and I both look out the front window to see a tornado moving across the road and being shifted many ways by the wind. Everyone was together because they were praying the tornado didn't make a shift towards us. Just as we were about to look away a piece of bored was flown coming directly at the front window. I feel hands around my waist pulling me down to the ground as the window smashed beside us. I feel glass shards hit me and hear it hit the floor. I heard people yell, seconds later after it went quiet I felt hands on my sides and then heard Jimi's voice.
"Karen!?" I lift my head to look at him and everyone else, they were holding each other protecting themselves and the babies, I get up shaking the glass off me and look out the window as the tornado was moving away. I hug Jimi and he holds me.
"Are you okay?" I nod my head and look at him.
"Are you?"
"I'm fine baby." I look at everyone else and the reassured me they were fine.