Happy Accidents

A few years later...

Jimi and Karen are in the back yard for Elijah's 6th birthday party. Joyce is 2 And will be 3 soon. Everyone was there and having a great time. People were talking and the older people were having some drinks.
Jimi was barbecuing burgers and hotdogs for lunch. Karen was keeping everything on schedule. She was in the house putting empty plates in the dishwasher when Jimi walked in.
"Hey baby, we are out of soda and ice."
"Okay. You continue to Barbecue and I'll run to the store."
"No babe I got it. You're busy, and Phillip took over the Barbecue for me."
"Okay, I love you J."
"I love you too."
They kiss and Jimi grabs his wallet and the car keys and goes to the store.
Once there he picked up what he needed and tried to get back as soon as he could.

He was at a stop light and when it turned green he drove through it and was t-boned by another driver on the drivers side who ran the red light.
The car flipped and landed on the roof.

Jimi's P.O.V.

Pain. I feel pain. I feel a pounding in my head. When I open my eyes I'm upside down... shit. This ain't good. I hear someone.
"Sir?! Are you okay?" I look around and when I try and speak, pain. I can't say anything.
"Sir? Someone call 911!"
My head pounds more and it's harder to breathe. I try and stay awake but the blood running to my head and the pain is too much. I try and look at the person but everything turns black.

Karen's P.O.V.

Everyone was having a great time and I never paid attention to the time. We all heard a car pull up but I assumed it was Jimi. When everyone stopped and I turned to see, two police officers where walking around the house to us.
"Karen Westbrook?"
"That's me, can I help you officers?"
"We are here to inform you of your husbands condition."
"My husbands condition? Where is he?" I started shaking and getting worried. I know everyone is standing there watching but I don't care.
"Maybe we can go somewhere private."
"Where's my husband?"
"Ma'am... your husband was in an accident. A car ran a red light and T-boned him. The car flipped and he was injured. He has been takin to the regional hospital."
"N..no... is he okay? How bad was he hurt?" I started freaking out.
"All we know is he was injured and takin to hospital. We can escort you there if you'd like?" Kim walked up.
"I'll watch E and Joyce. Go Karen."
"Thanks Kim, and Yes please." The officers take me to the car and drive me to the hospital.

I run inside and ask the receptionist.
"I'm here for Jimi Westbrook. My husband?"
"Let me take a look." She looks on the computer for a minute.
"You're husband is currently with the doctor. When he's out I'll let him know you're here and he can come see you."
"Thank you." I go sit at the waiting area, but I am too worried to keep still. I walk around when I sit I tap my foot or hands.
A hour and a half passes and the doctor comes out. He calls my name and I go to him.

"Is Jimi Okay?"
"Your husband is gonna be just fine. He had some cuts on his left side due to the impact. A couple of his ribs are broken on the left as well as his left ankle which is sprained. He has mainly bruises everywhere."
"But he's gonna be okay?"
"He'll make a full recovery."
"Thank you so much." He smiles.
"He's in room 289. I'll take you to him now. When he wakes keep him calm and push the red button on the bed for a nurse."
"Thank you." He takes me to Jimi's room and I go straight to his side.

He has an oxygen tube in his nose, a bandage on his head. His foot is in a wrap and I see he has a brace on his wrist. I can't see under the blanket but I don't care. He's alive. I pull up a chair next to him and take his good hand. I sit there and cry.
"Oh baby... I was so worried... I didn't realize you were gone longer than an hour... I wasn't paying attention and I should have... I'm a terrible wife... I wish I could take this away. I'd take all your pain in a heart beat baby... please wake up... I need you... Our kids need you..." I sit there holding his hand for a while and I lay my head down on his bed.