18) When Reality Hits You...

MASON

For the past week it had been just me, cognac and the finest cigars. I just got off my jet and wished I didn't have to come back.

The day everything exploded I didn't even know what to say or do. It was my fault and my mess. I called and called and called until Olivia blocked my number. I made my way over there and she refused to answer. This was why I wish I had a key. When I realised she wasn't going to answer I did the next best thing and got on a plane. Told my pilot take me anywhere hot where I can smoke cigars and drink cognac. He did just that.

It wasn't really a holiday as my mind was on overdrive my mind was on Olivia. From when she attacked me then attacked Sydney I knew she was hurt.

I didn't blame her though. I shouldn't have lied and Sydney shouldn't have been chatting her mouth off. I just wished I was able to sit and talk to her at least once. This was the same thing Gabby did. It's when they have all this time away from me that makes it so easy to leave me.

I hoped that now I was back I could talk to her. I hated things being left the way they was. I was hoping if she loved me like she said she did she would look past all of this.

Just as I got to my house I heard a familiar voice.

"Oh! So I'm here thinking you outchea moping like one bitch but really you done pissed off on your private jet!" A somewhat angry Gabby said as she slapped my head.

"Yo G.. You been attacking me a bit too much lately."

"Yo ass better be glad that's all I'm doing!" She said as she walked into my house.

"I just needed to clear my head."

"So you let me know you leaving town! Got yo kids.. ALL THREE asking me where's daddy where's daddy? Working on my damn nerves!"

"I'm sorry G. I am. I'm just real hurt by all this."

"By all this? All this which is what YOU caused!"

I knew she was right and I knew she wasn't here to comfort me. I knew she was gonna give me a piece of her mind which usually is what I deserve so I just got myself ready for the cussing of a lifetime.

"I know I messed up.. I do. But I'm gonna make everything right."

"You gon make everything right? With who?"

"Olivia..."

"See! That's yo problem! You all hooked up on Olivia! Nothing against baby girl but yo kids come first!"

"G..."

"No! I have YOUR son!! Plus the girls! I have my own job but I been helping out run YOUR businesses!! Plus I look in on your family because that's just what I do! The least you could do is get yo shit together first before you focus on Olivia!"

"But that's just it! Olivia has been the one keeping me in check..." I stopped and laughed.

Did I really just say that?

"Yeah... Laugh. You sound like a damn fool and you know it!"

"Look. Ima be straight. Just give me time."

"NO! That's just it! You don't have time!"

Just then my phone rang.

"Yo"

"Maaaan! You need to get on down the hospital!" My cousin said.

"What? Why?"

"Just get here! I'll fill you in when you get here." He said before hanging up.

What the hell was going on?

"Jacob saying I need to get to the hospital but he ain't saying why." I told G

"Well come on then. Let's go!"

I jumped in the car with G and sped to the hospital. I was praying that nothing bad had happened to my family.

When I arrived Jacob was outside waiting for me.

"Man!! You wouldn't believe the shit that has happened!"

"Cuz talk to me. Is my mama straight? Is it my pops?" I asked my mind doing over time.

"Yeah yeah everyone straight. So remember Destiny and Paige were both meant to give birth? Well hear the madness.. We was all playing dice; Destiny and Paige came over, Destiny starts playing dice with her big ass belly then her waters break. Everyone panicking not knowing what to do and shit. Eventually someone calls the paramedics. They come and take Destiny. True I know that half my baby cousin up in there I follow behind. Trying to call yo dumb ass but couldn't get through. So we get to the hospital now. I stay in my car. I call the fam and let them know what's happening; then Paige comes outside and she's crying. I'm like yo what's up. She's bawling saying it weren't supposed to happen like this. She can't take care of them both. I'm like what you talking about. Now hear what I'm about to tell you. Destiny was pregnant with twins. Destiny was going to give one of her babies to Paige so they could both be parents. So I'm like Hol up hol up! You pregnant! This broad rips this bump from her and throws it on the ground. Did you hear what I just said? The bump was not real! Her belly flat as hell! So I'm like woah woah woah! How did you think you was gonna pull this off? She's crying saying if don't matter now, because Destiny died giving birth and she ain't looking after them both. Next thing you know she's panicking and saying she's gotta go. That's when I called you. I ain't even gone up there."

I was listening to my cousin but honestly...this sounded like a film, or something out of a book. Not something real. Not my life!

"So Jay... What you telling us? Destiny dead, Paige done run off and there's two new born babies without a mom?"

"Yes G.. That's exactly what I'm telling you!"

"So why the fuck we out here? Cmon!" She said as she dragged my arm and we headed into the hospital.

I was still in my own zone. All I'm hearing is twins, Destiny dead, twins, Destiny dead. I didn't even know these girls. It was a threesome that I had on my damn birthday and look how it's come back to bite me in the ass.

"I'm afraid we can't let you in." Was all I heard.

I saw Gabby ready to pop off so I intervened.

"Sorry.. So this is what it is. Those babies in there are mine. I've been told the mother didn't make it. Even though this is a lot to take in. Those are my kids. I want to see them."

"Fine. You can go in. But that's it."

"Thank you. Guys.. Make all the phone calls. Tell everyone what's happening. Tell my mama I NEED her and try find out if Destiny has any family so they can know." I said before I walked into the room where my twin boys were.

There was no denying they were mine. They looked just like me when I was a baby. This was a bitter sweet moment. Kids to me will always be a blessing. However even though I didn't know Destiny they will never be able to see or even know who their mother was.

Then it hit me. If they had no mother then it would all be on me. I would have these boys 24/7. I knew my mother wouldn't be up for being a parent all over again and that's something I wouldn't expect. I also knew Gabby was no longer going to have Junior.

Reality really sunk in right there and then. I wasn't even in a fit state to be looking after one let alone three children. But I guess I had to fix up and be the good dad I know I can be.