36) I Got You.

GABBY

As soon as Olivia called me and told me what happened I woke the girls, jumped in the car and drove to be by my families side.

When I got there everyone was silent. All that could be heard was Ma crying. As soon as I saw her I started crying. James was my dad. He took me in as one of his own. I couldn't believe he was gone.

"What happened?" I asked

"Sammy said he died in his sleep." Olivia said.

I looked at her. She must have been finding this really hard.

"You okay?"

"Yeah.. Well no, but it's not about me. I've never seen Mason like this."

"Where's he?"

"In the room.. With his dad."

"He's still here?" I whispered.

"They ain't calling the paramedics yet. They all want to say goodbye." She whispered back.

I nodded my head and went up to the room. When I went in there Mason was standing against the window staring at his dad. He looked like a lost little boy who was waiting for his dad to wake up. It broke my heart seeing him like this.

"Mase..." I said.

"He's just sleeping. Don't know why Ma was making a fuss."

Tears fell from my eyes as Mason spoke. Shock and denial was common with deaths.

"Do you remember when my parents died?"

"Yeah."

"Do you remember how I was?"

"You was the Tasmanian devil." He said.

I laughed.

"Yep. But no matter what you said that I can be angry, violent and rebellious but you will always be there for me when I need to cry. Do you remember that Mason?"

"Yeah."

"Well.. I'm here to say the same. I know you got to be strong for everyone else but what about you? Who you got to be strong for you? You got me, that's who. Your best friend. So whether it's today, tomorrow, the day before the funeral, the day of the funeral or in ten years time; I'll be here for you for whenever you need."

"He's not dead G.. We don't need no damn funeral because HE'S NOT DEAD!!" Mason shouted

"YES HE IS!! And this here, holding his body... It's not right! Y'all need to face up to the fact that your dad has gone."

"No.."

"Mason..."

"No. G.. No. I just lost my son and now my dad? G.. Please. No."

I was trying to be strong for him but it was breaking me. It was bringing back me losing my parents. It still hurt, but I was hurting because my best friend was hurting. Mason was always the backbone and his dad was his best friend. When we was younger Mason idolised him. He wanted to do everything so his father could be proud of him. So I know this was hard for him.