Something Special

He couldn't believe how easily he got back in the swing of things

He couldn't believe how easily he got back in the swing of things. Moving in a crowd as if he was invisible. No one noticed him. It helped he was of the age that people expected to be walking around on their own. When he'd been younger it had been a little difficult.

He walked through the market, keeping an eye out for anything different, anything strange. Leo was also secretly wondering if he could steal some food from the market, he wondered if he had ran out of practise? But just as he was wondering that, he tensed.

He saw it.

A chill ran down his spine.

The sign.

He saw a sign on a hotel that was in Ancient Greek and he could read it.

The Lost Hotel.

It was incredibly tall building, worn and old. It was very different from the city's new buildings.

It also seemed to waver. It's image flickering...

Leo recognised why very quickly.

The mist.

The building was covered in it.

And despite its odd looks no one around him looked at it, or even glanced at it. As if they couldn't see it.

A couple of minutes later Leo was cursing himself.

Great idea Leo!

Let's just go into the creepy building that no one else can see!

But he was so curious...

Why was this building covered in mist? And the ancient sign clear for demigods to read? Maybe it was a trap?

He knew he was an idiot but he couldn't help himself, Leo just had to know...

The hotel inside didn't look like anything special. He walked through old corridors and cracked floors .

It was damp and there was moss growing in the corners.

Leo stiffened as he heard a noise.

Laugher.

High pitch laughter.

Children?

He blinked, had that been what he'd heard?

Then Leo did something stupid, he followed the noise, though keeping aware.

He thought of monsters that could mimic voices, he shuddered thinking of Piper and Jason's run in with that Cyclops.

He pulled his awesome hammer out of his magic tool belt.

Just in case...

There was a white room up-ahead. The door wide open. Where the sound was coming from.

Leo walked into the room then tensed up, his eyes wide with shock.

What the-?!

Standing before him were huge giant glass doors and glass windows but what was most surprising at what he could see out side.

Woods...

Trees far and wide...

But this was a city! There was no woods here. Not this large! He couldn't see into the woods properly, too many trees shrouding the light. It didn't look that inviting.

Leo turned around, running out of the hotel. He looked over its tiny fence to see just a garden. A tiny garden covered with weeds and a tiny old fence surrounding it.

What?!

He ran back inside to the glass room. And sure enough outside was tall looming trees probably going on for miles.

Now why would there be a forest that's hiding out here in the city? Leo frowned that was an odd sentence. Mind you, he'd said a lot of odd sentences in his life like-

He face palmed.

Getting off track! Focus! He told himself.

Leo stared at the looming trees outside for some time longer before despite his head telling him this was a bad idea. He walked forward.

Opening the door.

Into the vanishing misty hiding woods he went...

Anything to move forward.

Anything to get away from the city and the reminders.

To distract himself from why he was there in the first place.

Just maybe this mysterious forest might prove the distraction he needed...

As he stepped outside into the woods. Leo didn't realise that words on the sign suddenly vanishing and rearranging to say something different.

Something special.